Chapter 1 - A Hero Is Born

"The mother... she's dead." 

Mark stood up and sighed. He placed his hands on the desk. "And the baby?" 

"Alive. He's a beautiful baby boy." Jack said. "Before his mother passed, she did leave him a note. She must have known that her sickness may not have let her survive the delivery."

"Did she write a name on the letter?" Asked Mark.

"Yes. Matthew."

"Matthew Patrick.... has a nice ring to it. Jack, may I ask something of you?" Mark asked. Jack nodded. "Ever since Hope Square was built, you've been taking in any orphans may stumble upon us. Would you be willing to take in an orphan who came from within our walls?"

"It would be my pleasure. I'll do what I can to raise him right. He'll fit right in with the others." Jack paused. "Who have not left."

"What?"

"Oh... well, some of the children... their curiosity has gotten the better of them. A small group, only about 3, they all attempted to run away. But..."

Mark sighed. "Oh... them. Jack, I'm sorry, I know what they meant to you."

"I understand." Jack said. "Laws are laws. Running off like that could have put us all in danger."

"I'm glad you understand." Mark said. His kind smile was genuine. He did not truly want to banish those children to the Dagger Clan's territory, but they all had to abide by the laws. He did feel bad, and he did feel sympathetic for Jack. "How many children are left?"

"Including our little Matthew? Two."

"Two?! So little?"

"Yes. Matthew... and Virgil." Jack said. "Virgil's a good fit around here. He's older than any of the children who were banished, but he still refused to go. Skittish and anxious as the rest of us. Maybe even more. It'll serve him well if he ever takes to the streets to get supplies. You never know who is lurking around the corners."

"Of course. You've done well teaching him our ways, Jack." Mark said. He placed a hand on Jack's shoulder.

"Please. Virgil came to us as anxious as he is." Jack chuckled. 

"That's good. I'm sure that you'll be able to give the same values to our little Matthew." 

Jack paused. He bit his lip nervously. "Well... there might be a problem with him." 

Mark removed his hand. "What's wrong? Is he sick?"

"Maybe... I have no idea." Jack rubbed his forehead. "The doctor told me that he was born with his eyes wide open. What's more, he wasn't crying, at all. The doctor thought he was dead, at first. But then his newborn little eyes started looking at the gold plating on the mobile... and he started giggling." 

"What?"

"I don't know! It's... bizarre. He's perfectly healthy, perfectly happy... he's just fine in all physical ways. But... he may turn out to be a bit more curious than the rest."

"Make sure that it's limited. Curiosity helps us grow, yes. But it can lead to our downfall as a society. The king sees us as nuisances. If Matthew's curiosity gets out of hand... he may lead them to Hope Square."

"I agree. He'll learn our ways, no problem. He, and the rest of Hope Square will be just fine."

*A/N: I couldn't wait. Sorry guys! Hope you like it!*