Chapter 2 - Meeting Matt

*I was doing some planning with ages and timelines earlier. So even though the ages are WAAAY off in terms of how old these guys are in real life, (Matt is 18 in the main story, for pete's sake,) so don't complain, please? I worked really hard.*

Jack closed the door behind him. He sighed as he rested his back against the door. Virgil, a quiet young man of only 19 sitting at the table, looked up from his book. 

"Is that the baby?" He asked.

"Yeah... it is. His name is Matthew." 

"He seems..." Virgil struggled for a decent word. "Cute."

"Most babies are."

Uncomfortable, Virgil raised his knees to his chest, half-curled up in the wooden chair. He pulled the book closer to his face, almost trying to hide.

"Oh, come and say hi. He won't bite. He doesn't have teeth." Jack sat down in the chair across from Virgil. Virgil nervously put down his book and slowly stood up, his posture slightly hunched and very closed-off. 

"Go ahead, touch him." Jack said. Virgil's hand reached out to touch Matt's forehead. His hand stopped before reaching it, as he pulled his hand back and shoved it in his pocket. "Are you scared of him?" Jack asked. 

Virgil shook his head. "No." He bit his lip. "I'm scared that I'll hurt him. Or annoy him. Or make him cry." 

Jack sighed. "Can you keep a secret, Virgil?"

"No. Please don't trust me with any big secrets. I might let it slip by accident."

Jack chucked. "Okay, how about this? Can I tell you something that you wouldn't casually say in a normal conversation?" He asked. 

"I never have normal conversations. I'm always either scared of others, or they're scared of me." Virgil said. He took his hands out of his pockets and looked at them. "I don't mind people being nervous around me. People put their guards up around me. I don't have to worry about the things that I would have to worry about if I was well-liked." 

"Well, I don't think that your dark persona will affect Matt here." This peaked Virgil's interest. He leaned over to see Matt closer. 

"His eyes are open." Virgil said. "His eyes are wide open. I thought babies couldn't do that." 

"They shouldn't."

"Is there something wrong with him?"

"No, I don't think so. Matthew here is just a little bit different." Jack said. "That's why I was hoping... you could help guide him."

Virgil practically jumped away. "No, no, no, no, no, no. Bad idea. Very bad idea. Do not trust me with children." 

"Not just yet. When he's a bit older. Should his curiosity ever get out of hand, I ask that you keep him on the right path." Jack said. 

Virgil sighed. "I don't know."

"If you can't do it, I understand. But keep in mind. Protecting him protects all of us." 

"Everyone in Hope Square?" Virgil asked. Jack nodded. 

Virgil sighed. "Okay... I don't think I'll be that good, but I'll try." 

"That's the spirit!" Jack said. He looked back down at Matt, who had started to giggle. "Are you sure you don't want to hold him? He seems to like everyone."

"I don't want to drop him." Virgil said. 

"How about this?" Jack took one of Virgil's hands gently and slowly moved it towards Matt's tiny, smooth little forehead. Slowly, both he and Virgil lowered their hands onto his head. Jack removed his hand, as slowly, Virgil's hand relaxed. 

Matt started to smile. Virgil gave an awkward, small laugh. It felt very out-of-place for him, but he liked it. He moved his thumb back and forth across Matt's forehead in tiny motions. Matt's eyes closed softly and he started to drift off, smiling the whole time. Virgil removed his hand and looked back at Jack. 

"Babies are really cute."