Chapter 8 - Not Like Us

After the meeting, Matt decided to go play by the fountain again. The sun was shining, so one of the girls was splashing the other children, which they all giggled at when the water hit them and cooled them down. They were all the same age as Matt, so Virgil still hung back and read.

Matt approached the fountain where the kids noticed him, turning away. "What's wrong?" Matt asked. The other kids ignored him. 

Matt sighed and stood up on the fountain. He latched his foot onto the second rim of the fountain and climbed up top, hanging from the spire and balancing on the edge. The girl who was splashing people finally looked up. "What are you doing?" She asked.

"If you stand up here, you can see the castle. Outside Hope Square." Matt said. "I can see the highest spire from here. Sometimes, if I look hard enough, I can see a little girl standing on the balcony." He said. He looked back at the kids. "I think she's the princess."

The kids looked at each other nervously. "You've been thinking about the places outside Hope Square?"

"You haven't? There's so much more beyond this place. So many people to meet, things to learn... I'm so excited to learn more about the world!"

"Are you serious?" One of the boys asked. "That could get you in so much trouble!"

"Forget him, it could get us all in trouble!" Another boy added. "He's gonna bring people to Hope Square."

Matt sighed. "Yeah? Well... I'm not gonna let that happen. I'm smarter than that." He said.

While Matt was talking to the other kids, Virgil watched one of the girls climb up behind Matt. "Look out!"

Matt didn't have enough time to really react before the girl pushed him into the fountain. Matt fell in, drenched to the bone. Virgil ran over to him and helped him up. "You guys are jerks!" He said. Matt didn't cry. He just wiped his face off.

"It's fine. They just don't understand. And they never will." Matt said. "They're not like us."

Virgil dropped Matt's arm. "Us?"

"Well... yeah. We're a team, right?" Matt asked.

Virgil stood still. The other kids giggled. "You're crazy if you think the most normal Hope in this town is anything like you. You're the one who's not like us, Matt." The girl on top of the fountain said. Matt looked down at the ground, still dripping wet.

Virgil took a deep breath and stepped in front of Matt. "We may not be alike..." Virgil said, his voice shaking with faked confidence. "But if he's a nicer person than you jerks, I'd hang out with him any day over you!"

Matt smiled. "Come on, Matt. Let's go somewhere where these guys won't follow."

"I know the perfect place."