Chapter 20 - Who I Am

Matt leaned back and sat up straight, wiping his forehead. He was still exhausted.

"Whoa!" The announcer suddenly shouted. It took their attention. "Is that what I think it is?!"

Some of the Daggers, about 4 of them. One Dagger pulled Matt up by his upper arm, his grip tight. He reached across Matt's chest, grabbing his other arm, the one with the brand, and held it up, high for the whole audience to see.

"That's a Hope Brand!" A female Dagger screeched. The rest of the crowd went into an excited jumble of voices.

"Well, well." Matt looked up, noticing that one of the doors into the arena was now open. "A Hope. Our... lesser half." In the doorway stood a well-dressed man, the tiniest bit tan, and clearly good-looking. But that wasn't what really caught Matt's eye. The man stepped into the arena, allowing Matt to see him clearly. "Then again, I know a thing or two about lesser halves."

"Mayor Mark?" 

The man groaned, but his face went back into a smile quickly. "I would... prefer.... not to be compared to my brother." He paused often, allowing the weight of his words to sink in. It gave off a terrifying impact. 

"You're Mayor Mark's brother?" He leaned back a bit. "He has a brother?" 

"Twins." The Dagger holding Matt's arm said. Dark narrowed his eyes in slight annoyance and snapped his fingers. The Dagger that shot Sayfia shot the other Dagger through the head, releasing Matt. But he didn't run. 

"My name is Dark." He extended his hand for Matt to shake, but Matt just leaned back farther. Dark smiled with an air of fake sincerity, then lowered his hand. He leaned in a bit, examing Matt's face. "You look... remarkably like a man I once knew. A friend of mine, actually." He paused, looking closer. "And you have her eyes, as well." He gave a suspicious smile and leaned back. "What's your last name?" 

Matt shifted uncomfortably. "Patrick." 

Dark gave a happy gasp. Not truly happy, more satisfied, pleasantly surprised. "I know your parents." He said, pointing casually at him. "Or, well..." He chuckled. "I knew them." 

Matt relaxed instantly. "You... you knew my parents?" 

Dark didn't say anything. Just smiled. He was waiting for Matt to ask him. He wouldn't just tell him. 

"How- how? Do you- what happened to them?" Matt asked. "My dad, he died before I was born, and my mom died..." Matt trailed off. 

"Of poisoning?" Dark asked, a slight satisfied air about him. 

"What? No, she died giving birth to me." Matt shook his head. "Why would you say poisoning?" 

Dark smiled again and brushed it off with a wave of his hand. "No reason. I knew your mother was pregnant, but... I never thought I'd actually have the.... pleasure... of meeting you." He paused for effect. "Your parents said that if they had a girl, your name would be Amy... what did they end up calling you?" 

"Matthew." 

"Well then, Matthew." Dark bent over and picked up the dagger on the ground and gave it to him. "As the head of the Daggers, I welcome you into our happy... little... family." Dark's eyebrows curled down in a sinister glare. 

Matt shook his head. "I can't. I-I'm not a Dagger. I'm a Hope." He stared at the brand on his hand. "And I may not even be that anymore." 

"I see." Dark gave a very long pause. Matt looked at the brand for a little longer, until he finally raised his head again. In the blink of an eye, Dark had the dagger at Matt's throat. The tip pressed lightly against his neck. Matt tried to back away, but he went directly into the arms of another Dagger, who only pushed him back, now totally unable to get free. Matt's breathing quickened, but he stood sill. He was still in a panic, though, his eyes darting around for an escape. 

"Then I guess we have no winner this year." 

After a few seconds of silence, the crowd started a low, quiet chant. "Kill, kill, kill...." It got louder and louder, waiting for Dark to make the kill. Matt still had no idea how to get out. Dark pressed the dagger a little deeper. The grip on his shoulders got tighter as his breathing grew quicker. The chant blurred into nothingness in his ears. He was panicking. He had to get out. 

Suddenly, one of the arena's metal doors flung open. The one Dark had entered from. "Dark, wait." A young man stood in the doorway. "I've got a better idea." 

END OF PART 1

PART 2 COMING SOON.