Chapter 11 - The Bookstore

When Matt and Virgil stepped out those gates, Matt was instantly filled to the brim with un-hope-like curiosity. Virgil checked the list. 

"We need cow feed, chicken feed, a cookbook, and some more chalk for school. We should stick together." Virgil said, looking up from the list. Matt was already looking around, inspecting every corner. His hand reached out and touched the glass window. 

"What is this?" He asked. 

Virgil came up behind him and lowered Matt's hand. "It's called glass, Matt. And keep your hands covered. If someone sees the Hope Brand on it, you'll be hunted right away." 

"We don't have glass in Hope Square." 

"There's a lot of things out here that we don't have in Hope Sqaure." Virgil said. "Now come on, we have to go get the feed for the livestock." He started walking off, Matt following close behid, in awe of every new thing he saw. 

Virgil suddenly stopped in his tracks. So did Matt. "Virgil? What happened?" 

Virgil pushed Matt back slightly. "Hide, you've got to hide." He said. He pushed Matt around a corner. While Virgil pressed himself firmly up against the wall, Matt peeked around the corner. 

"Whoah."

The already very small crowd parted in half, all bowing for the people walking through the street. There were two people; a man with a thin amount of hair, dressed finely, but not in his royal best. "Is that the king?" Matt whispered. 

"Yeah. That's king A.J." Virgil said. "And you'd best avoid him if you want to live." 

Matt wasn't really listening. He just watched the king pass through, dressed in a royal blue coat with a green sash and a small-sized crown. The light reflected off of it in a beautiful way, or as much as it could, with the ever-present grey sky hanging above them. The king had a stoic face, one that looked like it was hiding a good set of tears and drepession. Of course it was. The King had recetly lost his wife, of course. He was in so much pain that he outlawed a group of outlaws, (which is of course, ridiculous,) and then outlawed flowers.

Matt actually loved the flowers in Hope Square before the law against them was placed, as he thought they were the few things that gave the world light. He still thought that. But then he saw the girl coming behind the king. 

A beautiful young girl in a long, pale green dress. Her hair was long and beautiful, falling to her shoulders. She wore a very small headband, decorated with diamonds. She had clear skin and large brown eyes. She was, without a doubt, the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. Then again, there wasn't much compitition in the confines of Hope Square. 

"Who's she?" Asked Matt.

"Princess Stephanie. King A.J's adopted daughter. He loves her like one anyway, but I don't think he cares much about anyone since Queen Gwen died." Virgil said. "Why am I awnsering you? Don't talk to them. Don't talk to anyone." He said. "It'll only get you in trouble."

Matt watched them both fade off into the crowd. The princess was so beautiful. Who needed flowers to bring the kingdom light, when she could brighten up the whole world with a smile? A smile that she apparently could not give, since she looked so sad. 

Once they were gone, Virgil pulled Matt out of their hiding spot. "Alright. Let's go buy the feed." 

"Actually, why don't we split up? That way we'll get it done faster." Matt said. 

"Oh no. I am not trusting you to go off on your own. You're going to get yourself hurt. Or someone else." Virgil said. He grabbed Matt's hand, accidentily pushing his shirt sleeve up. A sharp eyed woman who had seen the scuffle spotted it immediately.