Chapter 3 - How A Boy Grows Up

How a boy grows up affects his future greatly. However, Matt's upbringing did not seem to effect him. Or at least not his curiosity.

Matt grew up next to his guardian, Jack, and his awkward and anxious friend, Virgil. Jack was a well-accepted and well-liked member of the Hope Clan, and Virgil was the picture of how a good Hope Clan member would act. Matt was not.

Matt's natural curiosity that he managed to get from birth was the biggest factor in his life. It served him well within the confines of Hope Square, though. Whenever Virgil or anyone else lost something, Matt was automatically on the case, looking high and low until he inevitably found it.

Matt would explore the tiny world he grew up in to every corner. Hope Square was exactly what it sounded like. It was obviously small, as it looked like an average village square. The difference though, was that Hope Square ONLY had a square. In a perfect square, (from a bird's eye view, of course,) were the homes and very small shops of the people in the Hope Clan. In the center of the square was a gazebo, where "town meetings" were held for matters of grave importance. The open space in the square often held things like flower carts, or sales of small knick-knacks. There was also a fountain in the Square that the children played by. However, since the children were banished, none ever went to the fountain to play, especially with Virgil afraid of even the people in Hope Square.

But once Matt was old enough to even walk, he went to that fountain every day. When he was old enough to learn, he counted the coins in the fountain. Then he identified the types of coins and added them up. Then he divided them based on how many flowers he could get for only three coins. Soon enough, Matt had turned into a mathematical genius.

With Matt's intense curiosity, he grew to be a very bright young boy. He was smart and very clever. When a few more children were born, or brought into the Hope Clan, he was able to teach them the very basics of math and science. He even taught Virgil, who had been keeping an eye on him from afar the whole time.

But what really worried the people of Hope Square was just how far his curiosity was taking him. Matt managed to make his way to all the borders of Hope Square and back. He was running out of things to discover, things to learn. And he was getting restless.

And finally, Mayor Mark took notice. And then he took action.