Chapter 3

Taylor was done with me, he left, the audience left. I laid there on my back bleeding out, but unfeeling. I was just a numb shell of a human. I wasn't there anymore.

I struggled to stand up due to my now even more injured ribs, but managed to make it to my knees. I spit a mouthful of blood onto the ground and on shaky legs stand up. No time to recover, if I don't do todays chores I'll get a repeat of this bullshit. 

Giggles surround me as I walk inside, I ignore them as usual. I know guys, my ugly ass swollen face is a terror to look at, just don't look at me.

I wanted nothing more to give payback to all these losers, but I save that for a day where I actually have the strength to do so.

I'm tasked with the usual useless chores making peoples beds, as if they won't be going to sleep 12 hours later and unmaking the bed. Sweeping and mopping the same hallways everyday without any recognition. All the teens like to purposely walk around in muddy shoes so I'm stuck in a pointless cycle of never being done cleaning.

"Hey slut, I heard Alpha wants you" I hear from behind me. I turn around to see Naomi, I chuckled knowing I was wearing her leggings. 

She glared at me and slammed my head up against the wall growling.

"You're not allowed to laugh at your future Luna slut, just go whore yourself out to Alpha and get back to your chores."

She wasn't the future Luna, she was just obsessed with Taylor and craved power. If they were mates they would have known by now, neither of them felt the mate bond. She released her hold on my head and walked away.

I held my head for a minute trying to stop the dizziness from the impact before dropping the mop and hesitantly walking towards the Alpha's office. I was not a slut, I would never stoop to that level, none the less with Alpha Ryan, Taylor's widowed father.

He was the one who encouraged this life for me throughout the pack, and while he's tried stuff with me, I promptly stop him, even if it leads to some of the worst beatings I ever get. It's worth it though, I would rather die than have that cruel man touch me in that way. 

I stand in front of the large office door before convincing myself to knock on the door. I felt blood seeping through my hair from Naomi, but I ignored it and stepped into the office when I got the ok from Alpha. I fixed a permanent scowl onto my face to voice my overall annoyance at him. 

"Good afternoon Phoenix, come take a seat" he says gesturing at the chair in front of his desk.

This is different. Usually I'm called in hear to be yelled at or hit, neither of which were happening. My facial features twisted in confusion, but I complied and sat down at the chair that was entirely too big for me, but the perfect size for an average wolf. It felt like I was a child with my feet dangling several inches above the ground.

He studied my bruised puffy face for a second before commenting "you look delightful today darling, do something different with your makeup?"

He laughed at his own joke, but I wanted to know what he was getting at. 

"Alpha Ryan, I am very busy today being mistreated by your pack, I would appreciate it if you would get to the point" I smile sweetly at him, folding my hands in my lap.

He simply laughed at my response. He had always claimed he loved my fiery attitude, said it made breaking me down more of a challenge, leading to a more satisfying end product. 

I expected him to mention me sneaking out this morning and punishing me for doing so, but instead he shadowed me and smiled folding his hands on his desk before beginning to speak.

"Phoenix, as I'm sure you know, I will be retiring by the end of the week, and Taylor will be replacing me. To celebrate these exciting times, we'll be expecting guests on Friday."

Oh, that's what this is about. I know the drill when guests come over. Clean the pack house and cook their food, then hide out in my closet until they leave. I never have to hide my bruises when just around the pack since they all know about my predicament, but when guests come I am not allowed to show my face in fear that someone will rat the pack out to the royal family.

"In preparation for the event I've sent out a mind link to the pack restricting them from further injuring you. Or injuring the visible parts of you at least, so your face should be ok. In addition, I'd like you to eat at least one meal a day to bring you up to a more healthy weight"

This is new. 

They're going to stop hurting me? Well, my face at least. And I can eat without being yelled at, wow. What a generous alpha I've been gifted with. Who was coming to the pack that I had to be presentable for?

"Uh... Thank you?" I question, confused.

I stand to leave but am interrupted.

"Phoenix" I stop in my tracks and turn to face him. "You are not to tell anyone of your condition here in this pack, and that is an order, which you do not want to disobey." He growled at me, his eyes flashing black for a second before going back to the ugly brown they usually are.

He used his Alpha command on me. Even if I wanted to ask for help, I wouldn't be able to.

I nodded my head and turned to leave once again, this time without being stopped, thankfully.

Wow! I felt untouchable! My face is protected for the next week and I can eat once a day! I guess it's a win in my book. I couldn't wait for Saturday when no one could touch me or say hateful things to me, I would take such advantage of this power for the one day I could.

Hmm, this is what happiness feels like, interesting.