Chapter 12

Phoenix POV

I had lost all sense of time, it could've been days, weeks, months. The basement was constantly dark, I didn't have daylight to tell me what time it was. I only knew pain.

I'd be left alone for long stretches of time, where I could do nothing except think. I had been unable to sleep for what felt like days, I felt I was vulnerable in that state, and even when I tried, the darkness would haunt my dreams with vivid nightmares and flashbacks.

I wasn't allowed any movement as I was chained to this awful pole with silver handcuffs, even if I was given the opportunity to move about, I don't think my legs would be able to cooperate with me.

I had felt broken before, but this was a new low.

I squeezed my eyes shut, but refused myself any sleep, it wouldn't help my situation anyways.

The door squeaked open, I held back a scared whimper and pried my eyes open to identify my visitors. My eyes had adjusted to the darkness seemingly ages ago, and I spotted Taylor.

Despite his new Alpha title, and alleged duties as Alpha, he still finds the time to come here somewhat frequently. I wasn't even scared of him anymore, I knew the routine. He would verbally abuse me for a little while, telling me I deserve this, telling me Maddox has already moved on. He'd then move on to the physical abuse which was generally a rather long beating, followed by him slicing his name into my skin with a knife. 

He claimed if he kept going over his name on my arm, it would remain there forever, so I'd never forget my place. I didn't doubt this, he'd carved his name into me at least 10 times now. I didn't resist, I couldn't.

Today seemed different though, he sported a smirk that gave me an awful feeling. 

He told me he wanted something from me, something I had kept to myself for 19 years.

I didn't want to give it to him, I couldn't help myself from sobbing and screaming as he forcefully took it, despite my begging for him to stop.

He didn't care if it didn't belong to him, he claimed he was tired of waiting for his mate and wanted some experience before he met her. If Maddox didn't want me back then, he most definitely would not want me after this. 

I didn't even want me anymore.

A whole new type of pain hit me, I was humiliated, degraded, used. Unable to fight off my assailant, I was forced to sit there and take it.

He left once he was satisfied and I continued sobbing for seemingly hours. I didn't want to be alive, I couldn't live with myself anymore knowing how I'd been used. I felt absolutely sick to my stomach, needing to puke, but not having any food in my system to even throw up. 

My face stained with tears I sat there retching, dry heaving, I recognized this to be a panic attack, but I couldn't do anything about it. I'm weak, completely, utterly useless.

Unable to get enough oxygen to my brain, I fall unconscious, into a darkness filled with nightmares, nearly as bad as my reality.

Maddox POV

Three weeks. It had been three weeks since we've started to look for Phoenix. I was a sleep deprived, temperamental, train wreck of a wolf at this point. 

We have had search groups surveying all surrounding wooded areas for nearly a month now with no success. The only reason I can tell she's still alive is the mate bond, it's weak, but I can feel it.

If she were to be killed, I would instantly feel the soul shattering, heart breaking impact of it.

Many of my warriors were more concerned about me than her. They were horrified of the consequences of her death, and how I would be impacted. Losing your mate can make a wolf go mad, and nobody wanted to see that happen, to the King, nonetheless.

I appreciated their concern, but I've informed them that Phoenix is of utmost importance and priority, not to worry about me. Her disappearance has clearly taken a toll on my mental health, but any wolf who cares about their lives, won't mention it to me.

My cousin Hunter, keeps me up to date with all the warriors potential findings. As the head warrior, I've been entirely too harsh on him the last few weeks, but I can't help myself.

It was dark out now at this point, the wolves on night duty replaced their predecessors. I had been out all day, furiously looking for any faint scent that could lead me to her. Hunter had convinced me to call it a night as it was 11pm, and I hadn't slept for a few days.

We sat in the kitchen around the counter, I was chugging another glass of coffee against my better judgement, Hunter was looking at the map of all the surrounding territory crossing off certain sections that had been searched today.

"All of this pack's territory has been searched, we've been requesting access from surrounding packs to do our rounds uninterrupted. Naturally none of them have caused any problems yet. I also have an additional team working on that unchartered territory West of the Blue Moon's pack. There's a high concentration of rogues over there, so we're sending the best." 

I listened to Hunter ramble on, I already knew all of this information. I was constantly being kept up to date. I buried my head in my folded arms and took a deep breath trying to calm my anger. It's not Hunter's fault, I remind myself.

My head shoots up when I hear footsteps walking through the kitchen. It's Taylor, Alpha of the pack. He shot me a discrete glare, he was not too happy having to house all the Royal warriors during this lengthy search party. I held back a growl and watched him exit the house, not sparing us another glance.

"I want to rip off that good for nothing, useless, Alpha's head," I grumble, shooting daggers at the shut front door. Hunter mumbled some agreements, and we continued looking over the map.

A half hour passes, and I feel an excruciating pain build up in my chest, I repress a scream, and grasp at my heart.

"Maddox?! What's wrong?" Hunter shoots up from his chair, looking me over.

"It-it's Phoenix," I whispered, stumbling out of my seat.

"Is she..." He stopped himself from saying anything that would push me over the edge. He was family, but my wolf would not hesitate to smack him if he pissed me off.

"Something is wrong. I don't know what it is, but we need to go." I stormed towards the door, Hunter in tow. We had shifted within seconds, and my wolf instinctively followed the scent of Alpha Taylor, deep into the woods.