Chapter 17

Maddox POV

We sat next to each other at the breakfast bar eating, it seemed like she was already making some great progress which made me incredibly happy. She didn't flinch away when I touched her, and she was talking more.

Phoenix had eaten only a small pancake and half a piece of bacon and was now just pushing the remainder of the food around the plate with her fork.

"You should eat more," I told her, "I spent all morning preparing this magnificent feast for you." I chuckled, messing around with her.

A tired smile spread her lips slightly, but she simply shrugged. "I'm not hungry." Which couldn't possibly be true, she had barely eaten at the hospital, and before I had her, she must not have eaten more than once or twice a week.

It worried me how small she was, at only around 100 pounds, her stomach must not be adapted to having a lot of food in it. I'd have to change that, spoil her with snacks and chocolate.

"How are you feeling?" I asked her, hoping her injuries would start to heal soon, despite her wolf's limited ability to do so quickly.

She fiddled with a piece of bacon, "fine." It seemed as if she never wanted anyone to worry about her, when it was all I ever did. I was constantly worried about her, from the second I met her, I wanted her happy and healthy, but I had failed thus far.

"You want to talk about anything?" I slightly pried, wanting to hear her talk about her emotions, her fears, so I could help her.

Again I was greeted by just a shrug. I sighed quietly, and bit my lip. This would be harder than I had anticipated. "You know, I saw you talking to Zoe earlier, she's really excited to become friends with you," I smiled at Phoenix, desperately trying to start a conversation.

I glanced over at her and saw her eyebrows furrow slightly looking upset, mad almost.

"Listen, I'm really trying here, but I can't just pretend that I live this normal life like you do, when evidently, I don't. I know you're trying and you think I'm going to be this amazing mate for you, but I don't want you to get your hopes up. I'm so far gone, and I'm trying to come back to being normal, but I don't even remember what that entails."

She pauses a second, my mouth gapes open, not knowing how to respond to that. She then bites her lip and curses under her breath, "Fuck. I-I'm s-sorry..." and then she runs out of the kitchen.

What the fuck was that?

Just then my cousin, the gamma, Carter walks in, a look of confusion etched into his face.

"Madd, was that your mate who just ran out of here crying..?" Frustrated I nodded and tried to explain the situation, hoping he'd be able to decipher what had happened.

"You said she was severely abused for years? That's gotta do something to her mental or emotional state, I'd assume. She's probably just having trouble adapting to going back to normal life."

I mulled this over, it made sense, but how was I going to help her? "Why do you think she ran out crying after it? She said she was sorry then ran off..." I didn't have any experience with girls, none the less my mate who had happened to be in need of major help.

Carter thought for a second then replied slowly, cautiously, "in her previous situation, she was probably hurt for talking out of line."

Shit. I had to go talk to her. I didn't want her thinking for a second that I'd hurt her for speaking her mind, or for any reason.

Phoenix POV

I had taken refuge in his room after my little freak out. It's where he told me to stay, and when I was ready he'd move back in with me. The thought scared me.

Mates wouldn't hurt each other I tried repeating in my head over and over sitting up against the wall, my legs pulled into my body.

If I were to talk like that in my last pack, they wouldn't hesitate to punish me. I knew it was different here, but I couldn't help imagining Maddox running in here slapping me for being insubordinate.

The doorknob jiggled and I held my breath. Maddox walked in and glanced around frantically until his eyes landed on me. He exhales, seeming relieved.

He begins to approach me, instinctively I pull my legs closer to me and bury my head in my knees. His footsteps stop.

"Phoenix, I know in your last pack you were hurt for speaking your mind, wrongly so, but I would never do that to you. I want you to tell me how you're feeling, I want to be able to help you. Nobody in my pack would ever treat you, or anyone for that matter, like that. I just need you to know that no matter how much time it takes you to adjust, I'll be there for you."

I peak my head up, and look at him. Not trusting my voice, I nod slightly. I don't know where to go from here though. I spent all my time in the past doing chores and being beat, both of which Maddox made clear would not happen here. Now how will I fill up the days?

He was clearly struggling to come up with his next conversation topic, so I decided it was time to try and get used to being normal. Try to get used of the concept of having a mate who will care for me.

"What's y-your favorite color?" I asked quietly.

A smile stretches across his face, he comes up to me and offers his hand. I take it and he helps me up from my seated position.

We sit down on the bed, "blue, kinda like the color of your eyes." He smirks.

For quite some time we go back and forth asking basic questions, and it feels like I'm actually getting the hang of this whole human interaction thing. Maybe I'd be able to accept this whole mate thing sooner than I had anticipated.