Chapter 18

Maddox POV

After a day spent with Phoenix, she crashed in my bed and I returned to the guest bedroom I had been sleeping in. I was craving for the day I'd get to snuggle up next to her and spend the night in the same room.

I woke up the following morning fairly early, there was work to be done. I shower and get dressed and exit into the hallway. Once at my room, I peak my head in and stare at Phoenix's sleeping form. She looks at peace, absolutely gorgeous, even with the bed head and droopy eyes.

I quickly grab a post it note out of my desk and scribble down on it "Got a lot of alpha work to do today, Zoe will be around to hang out with. Make sure to eat!" I doodle a little smiley face and put it back on the dresser where she'd see it. I stare at her a second longer, then force myself to leave the room.

With that, I was making my way to the cells to finally address Taylor, begin my revenge. Other members of his pack were in the cells too, those who had openly admitted to hurting my mate, disgusting idiots. They'd be dealt with properly.

As for the rest of their pack, I was still untrusting of their past interactions with Phoenix, so I had warriors keeping their pack house on temporary lockdown until we could properly interrogate all the members.

I nodded my head at the guard who bowed his head back, as I began to descend the stairs into the dimly lit, musty hallway. Taylor was the last cell, heavily guarded.

Seeing him, made my wolf Aaron irritated, he wanted to slowly kill him.

"Why..?" I began slowly, not really knowing how to address the issue as big as this. "How could you possibly treat anyone so inappropriately? No one should be isolated and abused as Phoenix was." I could barely contain my anger, as I tried to speak to him diplomatically.

"Listen, I didn't start it, my father did." How quick he was to throw his own dad under the bus. "When my mom died, he needed someone to take it out on, the little brat orphan was the perfect victim, eventually everyone else caught on," he shrugged casually.

I tried to put myself in his shoes, I had been in his shoes when my own dad died a few years ago. Obviously we were both heartbroken, but neither my mom or I had taken it to a point of inflicting violence on an innocent being.

My fists subconsciously fisted, Taylor continued talking, "listen, I know I'm not getting out of this alive, so I might as well make the most out of it. Seeing her miserable brought me happiness, beating her unconscious never failed to bring a smile to my face, I also had the opportunity to use her like the slut she was, I'm sure you'll love a used whore." He chuckled maniacally, he was truly evil.

This had pushed my wolf over the edge, I grabbed his shirt through the bars, lifting him up with just one hand. I was almost positive my eyes were black at this point. "You, are going to regret the day you were born."

I threw him onto the floor. "Please bring out the silver chains," I say to the guards.

Taylor looked completely unfazed, his disinterest infuriated me. Soon enough he'd be wishing he had just kept his mouth shut.

The guards carefully entered the cell, Taylor put up no fight as he was chained to the wall with silver. He flinched slightly, but besides that showed no signs of regret or fear.

I fought against my morals, hurting someone for a prolonged time before ending his miserable life, but someone as awful as him deserved it. Lesser offenders would have the privilege of either an immediate death or imprisonment.

Hours had passed, and I was satisfied with the days work. I mind linked Zoe, "what are you and Phoenix up to? I need to take a shower before I see her, I don't want to scare her."

The blood on my clothes would definitely spook her, I don't want her past haunting her more than it already does.

"Out shopping for clothes, you're good! She's super cool, you guys are going to have super cute babies!"

I roll my eyes and cut off the link, Zoe was always super outgoing and forward. I was just glad she was able to get Phoenix slightly out of her shell while I was working.

After I had showered, I sat in my office doing boring alpha paperwork. I hear a light tap on my door, I smell the apples and pears and instinctively smile.

"Come in cutie," she reluctantly walks in.

"Cutie?" She inquires, her arms full of bags, good she'd have an amazing wardrobe to simply enhance her beauty.

I shrugged, "you're cute." She covered her face with her hair, I didn't miss the small smile though. "How was your day with Zoe?"

"I'm going to have to pay you back for the clothes, I don't currently have any money," I laughed, as if she was going to pay me back. I waited for her to add more to her response.

"She's really nice, we got lunch with her mate too. Isaac is funny, they're a cute couple,"

I couldn't wait to be a cute couple as well. I listened to her talk about her day, until she turned the tables and asked what I had done today.

"Just boring alpha stuff," I brushed it off. She didn't press much further, thankfully. I don't think she'd handle it well knowing what I was doing.

I'd assume she'd be fine that her pack got what they had coming, but I didn't want her to think I was dangerous or would hurt her. If she saw me hurting others, she might make connections and think that I'd hurt her. I would never, but I didn't want to even get the thought in her mind.

"So, you want to get dinner in a bit? Zoe, Isaac, Carter, and Hunter were all trying to have a little dinner gathering."

She looked a little anxious at the thought, but nodded reluctantly. I knew she was trying super hard to adapt, and I was incredibly proud of her for that. She was going to make an amazing and caring Luna, and getting used to her new pack members was just the beginning.