Chapter 10

Maddox POV

I had never been this annoyed. My mate had gotten hurt, because of my own stupidity, and nobody was letting me see her. It had been two days she was stuck in the medical wing, and they wouldn't allow me in.

The nerve of this pack for not allowing me, the king, to see MY mate, when she needed me. I was pissed, but there wasn't much I could do according to the doctors except wait a few more days.

Alpha Ryan, or I suppose retired Alpha now, advised me to return home for some things since it would probably be a couple more days before I could see Phoenix. I nearly ripped his head off upon hearing the suggestion to leave my injured mate here alone, but he convinced me the distraction would be good for me, that she'd be safe with her pack.

I begrudgingly agreed, wanting to get this asshole off my back. Returning home, I quickly explained the situation to my mom, and a few of my aunts who were with her. I threw a couple extra shirts in my bag and sprinted back out of the house, wanting nothing more than to see my mate.

My cousins and my beta stayed at the castle upon my request. They had work to be done, and I wasn't going to stop them so they could babysit me, waiting for my mate to feel better. I would be able to protect her fine on my own.

In just a few hours, I was back on their territory, making my way towards their pack house, where Phoenix was recovering. I walked through the front door and the new Alpha, Taylor looked at me, and his face drained of color. His eyes glazed over for a second, and then he rushed up to me.

"Your highness! Back so quickly! How about you come have dinner with the pack? Some of the omegas made a delightful meal in your honor!"

Shaking my head, I responded "No. I am seeing my mate, whether she is awake or not," and with that, I brushed past him, and headed for the staircase. He tried to convince me otherwise, but I ignored his distractions.

Slamming open the door, to her room, I expected to see her small, beautiful self laying there peacefully, not the empty, unmade, bed, I was greeted by. A low growl escaped my mouth before I could even think about it. 

"Phoenix?" I called out, hoping she had gotten up and was just in the bathroom. No response. I slowly cracked open the door, just to make sure, but unsurprisingly, it was empty.

My wolf itched to take over control, desperately seeking his mates scent. I let him lead me towards the faint scent of apples, maybe she had woken up, and was taking a walk. I tried to convince myself everything was fine, but something deep down told me this was seriously off, and mate was in trouble.

Her scent lead me to a room, several halls away from her original location, I opened the door and gasped at the disaster the small hospital room was. A destroyed bookshelf was overturned in the middle of the room, along with books scattered everywhere. It looked as if a fight had taken place.

Then I saw a small puddle of blood next to the opened window. My eyes flashed black, as my wolf Aaron made the connection that it was mate's blood. Instinctively I turned and punched the wall, barely feeling the stinging in my hand as I broke the dry wall. I hear a voice behind me, and it takes everything in me not to rip off the head of whoever let this happen.

"King Maddox, where is Phoenix?" Taylor asks innocently, being cautious of how he spoke to me, seeing my wolf taking over. I turned quickly and growled, getting up in his face.

I grabbed the collar of his shirt, lifting him off the ground, he instinctively clawed at my hands trying to get down, but remained fairly calm, knowing I could ruin his life if he stepped out of line.

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER," I yell in his face, his eyes widen a bit out of fear.

Props to him, for keeping his composure as he calmly responded "it must have been a rogue attack. We've had nurses filtering in and out of her room all day, they would have seen someone go in there."

Reluctantly, I released my hold on him, and he breathed heavily, trying to regain his breath and composure. His reasoning seemed flawed. Why would a single rogue infiltrate the pack house just to go upstairs to the medical wing, and take my mate? How would a rogue have gotten past that many people?

Sensing my skepticism, he continued "word must have gotten out that you found your mate, there are some horrible people out there who would try and mess with the king of all werewolves."

I accepted his explanation, but made it known that he would pay for not protecting her. I don't care if he had just become Alpha of the pack, he made me a promise she'd be safe if I briefly went back home. I mind linked my beta, Isaac telling him to inform their neighboring pack of the new border which gave them more land.

Having some of his territory taken away wouldn't make things better on my behalf, but I was livid, and needed to punish him somehow. He took the punishment without argument, but I could sense his obvious annoyance, screwing up as Alpha, and it hasn't even been a week yet.

With that I mind linked my cousin Hunter, telling him to come back with the warriors as soon as possible, he told me they'd be there within the hour, and I graciously thanked him. I decided to get a head start, hoping her lingering scent would still be somewhat present enough to leave a trail.

I don't know what I'd do if she was gone.