CHAPTER THREE: LIFE AS A NEWLY-TURNED VAMPIRE

After leaving the hospital, i drove back home. Only thing that bugged me at the moment was how I was gonna explain to my mom how i'm back from the hospital. Once I got home, I saw my mom watching TV. What was weird was that i could actually hear what was on the TV. She was watching a Michael Myers movie.
             I went inside the house and my mom saw me standing next to the kitchen.
            "Sweetie they let you out of the hospital?" She asked.
            "Yes." I said.
            "I thought they wouldn't let you out until tomorrow." She said.
            "They um, let me out early." I said, "There's nothing wrong with me."
            "But why didn't they give me a call?" She asked.
             As soon as she asked that, the phone rang. I forgot to mention that I actually persuaded Dr. Nelson to call my mom and tell her I was fine.
            "Yes Mrs. Ramirez, I sent her home, everything's fine." He said.
            "Alright, thank you Dr. nelson." My mom said, hanging up.
            "I'm gonna go up to my room." I said, walking up the stairs to my room.
            "Are you hungry?" My mom asked.
            "Yes, very." I said.
            "I'll order in." My mom said.
            "The usual, mom." i said.
            I went up to my room and got a text from Freddy saying he met up with the girls. 
            It was Monday now. Our first day of school as vampires. The four of us decided to walk to school together.
          "Okay, all we have to act is the same how we usually do, before we turned into vampires" I said.
        "Wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't a high school, where it's filled with humans" Raven said.
        "Maybe the sweat and cheap perfume will ruin our appetites" Alex said.
         Once we got to school, it was a little easy but also pretty hard to get used to not wanting to drink blood.
        "You okay Luce?" indi asked.
        "Everyone here is like a bunch of blood sausages" I said.
        "Hey, maybe Jeremy's kinky about that" Indi giggles.
        "You're horrible!" I gasped, lightly punching her shoulder.
        "Oh yeah, let me suck your blood baby" Indi moaned while making out with herself.
        "Ugh I hate you" I rolled my eyes, walking to history class. I forgot to mention I sit next to Jeremy in history. I don't know why, but I was extra nervous now. I don't know if it was because of my vampirism but I was. If we ever got together, we'd be an extremely mismatched couple. he was the popular hot guy that anyone in their right mind would want. And I was the freak people avoid.
        "You will be put into groups of two and you'll have to work on a project on the history of the Civil Rights Movement." Mr. Holbrook said to the class. He then began to assign each of us with partners. Chloe was paired with Sahara, Raven was paired with a guy named Matt, I was paired with Jeremy... Wait what?! I'm paired with Jeremy? God Lucy, please don't fuck this up.
        "Looks like we're partners." Jeremy smiled. I awkwardly smiled back and nodded. Raven was winking and smirking at me. Ugh, this is gonna be talked about for the next century, literally. after class, Jeremy decided to walk me to my locker.
         "Um hey, so maybe I was thinking we could meet up at my house later today and look for a topic there." He said.
         "Yeah totally" I said, "Eight o'clock?" I asked.
         "Yeah" He said, "This is my address." He said while writing his address on an post-it and giving it to me.
         "Thanks, i'll be there" I said.
         "Alright well, see you around" Jeremy said, walking to his next class. I opened my locker and heard loud, exaggerated claps behind me. I turned around to see Chloe.
         "Oh Lucy, Lucy, Lucy" She said.
         "What do you want chloe?" I asked, annoyed.
         "Oh I see the way you look at him." Chloe said, "Feelings so strong, I can almost smell it."
         "I don't know what you're talking about." I said, "I need to get to class."
          Sahara then came along and pulled Chloe away from me. "That's enough, leave her alone." She said.
         "Let go!" Chloe said, walking away. But before that, she turned back and said, "I know what you did, Lucinda, and pretty soon everyone else will too." Then walked away.
         "She can be very annoying." Sahara said. Sahara was a really pretty girl with long dyed-red hair, pale skin, and brown eyes. She was a little shorter than me and was skinny.
         "Tell me about it." I said.
         "What did she mean when she said she knows what you did?" Sahara asked.
         "Nothing" I said, "She's just, same old Chloe. I have to get to class, i'll see you around." I then walked away to my next class.
         "I like your ring!" Sahara said, but by then, I was already gone.
         After school, the girls and I met up at the cemetery.
        "Tell me again why we're here?" Raven asked.
        "We need to test our vampire abilities." I said, "We need to be prepared for anything that comes for us. Especially the vampire who turned us."
        "I'll try to run up that hill," Alex said. She then ran really fast up the hill, but tripped on her own feet and rolled right back down. Indi, Raven, and I laughed hysterically. Indi pointed at the mausoleum.
         "Winner gets to date Jeremy!" Indi said, winking at me.
         "You're on." I said. Indi and I then began to race each other until I reached the mausoleum.
         "Come on Raven, it's fun!" I said.
         "Okay." Raven said, running fast and colliding with me. We both fell to the ground. Raven got up and then started panicking.
        "What's wrong?" I asked concerned.
        "You're stomach." Raven said pointing at a tree branch pierced through my stomach. I pulled it out of me, and I healed.
        "Good thing we have wolverine healing factor" Alex said.
         "I wonder if we can turn into bats" Alex said.
        "Let's not get ahead of ourselves." I said, "I'm starving, you guys wanna go for some pizza?" I asked.
          "I'm down." Indi said.
          The four of us went to Little Caesars and order deep dish pizzas, hot wings, and sodas. We were gossiping until I realized it was getting dark out and it was almost eight o'clock.
         "Shit!" I said, "It's almost eight and I have to go to Jeremy's house to work on the history project."
         "Aww!" The three of them said in unison.
         "Stop it" I said, blushing and rolling my eyes.
         "How are you gonna get there in time?" Raven asked.
         "I guess i'll just speed over there." I said.
         "Okay well, let us know how it goes." Alex said, winking at me.
         "It's not like we're having sex or something." I said rolling my eyes, "It's just a history project."
         "As if that won't go down in the history books?" Indi joked.
         "Bye guys" I said, walking out and walking to an empty alley so no one could see me speeding off. I sped off all the way to Jeremy's house but tripped and fell into the bush. I quickly got up and knocked on his door. his mom opened.
         "Hi Mrs. Tobin, i'm friends with your son, is he home?" I asked politely.
         "Why yes, come inside sweetheart" His mom said, "Leave your shoes here." i walked inside, removed my converse and Jeremy was already walking down the stairs.
         "Hey Luce." He said.
         "Hey" I said nervously.
         "You wanna come upstairs?" He asked.
         "Yeah, sure." I said.
         The both of us walked up the stairs and into his room. His room was about the same size as mine. Not too big, not too small.
         "So uh, I kinda saw you and Chloe fighting after I left for class." Jeremy said, "What's going on between you two? It's been going on since Halloween."
        "Honestly, I wish I knew" I stuttered, "Chloe will be Chloe."
        "Looked a little bit more personal." Jeremy said. I looked up at him.
        "Well whatever it is, she should leave you alone." Jeremy said.
        "Right." i said. I wish I could actually tell him what happened, but I wanted to forget about it.
         "So anyways, I was thinking our topic could be on what led to the Civil Rights Movement." Jeremy said, "Everyone's pretty much doing what happened during, I thought we'd do something different."
        "Yeah sounds like a great idea." I said.
        "Great" Jeremy said. Jeremy grabbed his binder and attempted to take out a sheet of loose leaf when he got a paper cut.
        "Well would you look at that." he said, "Clumsy me."
        Suddenly I felt this rush of blood flow through me. I was craving it like crazy. I turned around and saw my reflection through my phone screen. My eyes were going bloodshot and I started to feel pressure on my teeth where my fangs would be.
        "Do you mind if I use your bathroom?" I asked.
        "Sure, go ahead." He said.
        I quickly got up and went to the bathroom. I saw my reflection and eyes were still bloodshot. My fangs were also showing. I nearly had a heart attack. I took a few deep breaths and my face went back to normal. I couldn't believe a simple paper cut like that would make me lose control. I don't know how I would survive the rest of high school. I went back to Jeremy's room and we continued to study. We studied for about an hour.
       "Are you hungry?" Jeremy asked, "My mom made dinner."
       "Yeah sure." i said, "But after, I have to go."
      "Yeah, no problem." Jeremy said.
      The both of us went downstairs for dinner. I sat down and Jeremy's mom made steak, mashed potatoes, and asparagus. Just seeing the knives at the table made my stomach hurt.
       "So Lucinda, how long have you known Jeremy?" His mom asked.
       "I've seen him around since freshman year, but we started talking here and there a few months ago." I said.
       "Yeah, what she said" Jeremy said.
       "Do you have a boyfriend?" She asked me, looking at Jeremy.
       "No, I do not" I said.
       After dinner, i excused myself and put my boots back on. Jeremy walked me out.
       "Thanks for having me." I said.
       "Yeah no worries." Jeremy said, "So um, i'll see you tomorrow."
       "Yeah." I said.
       The both of us stood there silently and awkwardly.
       "Well, see ya." I said.
       "See you in school." Jeremy said.
       I walked away and headed for my house. In the way I began to get a headache and a tightness in my stomach. I wanted blood. Really really badly. I then saw the nearest person I could find, walking alone. It was a Asian woman in her mid thirties. I sped to the woman, sneaking up behind her.
         "Excuse me?" i said.
         "Oh! you scared me!" The woman said, startled.
         "I'm sorry, I just wanted to ask where you got your shoes." I said politely.
         "Oh i got them at Ross, sweetheart" The woman said.
          "Great" I said, "One more thing"
          "Sure" The woman said. I then made direct eye contact with the woman.
          "Whatever you do, don't scream" I said. I then moved her hair out of the way, unleashed my fangs and bit into the woman's neck. I fed on her blood. It felt so good the way the blood just shoots out of the woman's neck, hitting the roof of my mouth, then rushing down my throat. The best damn feeling ever. I then stopped feeding and patched her up.
         "Now, walk away, forget this ever happened, and tell your husband a dog attacked you and you'll be fine." I said.
          The woman nodded and walked home and then I cleaned my mouth and went home. I immediately regretted what I did to that poor woman and cried as I walked home.