CHAPTER TEN: MASQUERADE

Daniel woke up minutes later, his throat sore. Memories started flushing in. Memories of the man in the trench coat that killed him.
            "What happened to me?" He asked himself. He felt drowsy and lightheaded. He noticed Raven and I sleeping, resting on each other's shoulders.
            He noticed he felt fine, since he was standing, and put on his black sweater and black jeans. He walked out of the hospital to get some fresh air.
            I woke up, not remembering I fell asleep. Raven woke up too. I glanced into Daniel's room and noticed he was missing.
           "Oh my god, Raven wake up!" I lightly slapped her cheeks.
           "I'm up, i'm up!" She shook. "What's wrong?"
           "Daniel's gone!" I said.
            Raven sprung up and the both of us ran outside to look for him. About a hundred thoughts ran through my head.
           "You check over there, i'll check the back." I said, rushing towards the back of the hospital.
           Daniel found himself at the back of the hospital. He noticed a janitor throwing out the trash, but he accidentally cutting himself with glass.
           "God dammit." The janitor cried, holding his hand.
           "Need help sir?" Daniel asked.
           "Don't worry kid, i'm fine."
           But Daniel didn't back away, he was drawn to the blood.
           "Let me just, see." Daniel said.
           "I'm telling you kid, i'm alright. Just a scrape, that's all."
           Daniel winced at the sharp pain in his gums as his fangs were emerging. Then his eyes turning bloodshot. He fed on the janitor aggressively, no sign of him stopping.
           I found Daniel in the back of the hospital, he was...talking, no, feeding, on the janitor. I rushed over to Daniel and pushed him off the janitor.
           "Stop!" I yelled, unleashing my own fangs. I was confused as to how Daniel was even a vampire. Then it hit me. The vampire come into the hospital and turned him without Raven and I noticing? The guilt immediately set in. I was supposed to keep him alive. Maybe this is what the vampire meant by healing him or letting him die.
             I bit into my forearm again and fed the janitor my blood, healing him.
            "Go home, lock the doors, and get some rest. Forget this ever happened." I looked into the janitor's eyes, persuading him. After he walked away, I prayed with all my heart nothing would happen to the janitor. I then walked over to Daniel. I looked into his eyes, which slowly turned from light brown to crimson red.
            "What do you remember?" I asked.
            "I..I remember sleeping, then awakened by this man in a trench coat, he grabbed me, then bit my neck. I died, but i'm alive...how?"
            "Daniel, listen to me, you have to calm down."
            "What did i just do?" Daniel wiped the blood off his mouth. "What did you just do? What are you?"
            "I understand there's a million questions running through your head right now, but you need to chill out." I said, "We're...vampires."
            "No way." Daniel shook his head and turned his back on me. "Vampires are not real."
            "What do you think you just did? The blood!"
            "No, that trench coat guy must've gave me something. It's an adrenaline rush, it's drugs, I know i'm not a vampire."
            "Daniel, i'm standing right here. Look at your eyes." I pointed my phone at his face. He stared at his reflection and noticed his now-crimson eyes.
            "So...i'm dead, but i'm alive."
            "You're undead. In order to turn into a vampire, the vampire has to drink all of your blood, then replace the missing blood with his own. It's the same thing he did to me and the girls. Yes, including Raven."
             Daniel remained silent.
            "Look we can help you. Me, raven, the girls...we can help you control the blood lust."
            "I think I need to be alone right now."
            "The sun's coming up in a few hours. It's either you come with us or you die."
            "Okay." Daniel said hesitantly.
             Raven then finally ran to the back of the hospital where Daniel and I were.
            "Daniel, are you okay?" Raven asked.
            "Other than the fact i'm undead, yeah." He replied.
            "Wait, you're?-"
            "A vampire." I finished.
            "Daniel, i'm so sorry. We never meant for this to happen
            "Ray, we have to take him to Freddy's. we need to get him a ring."
            "Lucy, our parents are coming to get us, they should be here any second."
            "Okay then i'll call Freddy and tell him to pick up Daniel."
             I went back inside the hospital with Raven and Daniel. I pulled out my phone and dialed Freddy's number.
             "Come on, pick up pick up....Freddy!"
             "Lucy? What's up?"
             "I need you to do me a huge huge favor."
             "Anything for you."
             "After the date, we got in a car accident caused by the vampire and so Daniel was injured and we went to the hospital. The vampire got to him while me and Raven were asleep, and now he's a vampire." I took a deep breath. "I need you to pick him up, I won't be able to take him there."
             "Sure, i'll be there!" 
             "Great, thank you so much Freddy, I owe you."
              The next morning, the first thing I did was get up to take a shower. I couldn't even sleep last night. After I got ready, I started heading for the door.
              "Where are you going?" My mom asked, scaring me.
              "Um, I was gonna go over to Freddy's to do homework." I lied.
              "Honey, you just got into a car accident, I don't know how you're even walking properly."  
              "I wasn't that close to the point of impact mom, i'll be right back."
               My mom sighed. "Look, I know you don't like Jason, but he's a nice man. You can't shut him out forever."
              "Mom, this has nothing to do with him. I know you like him, i'm happy for you. I just need to do homework."
              I rushed over to Freddy's hoping nothing bad happened to him or to Daniel. I knew blood would be on my hands if anything else happened. It would kill me. What kind of game is the vampire playing? What's my role? Or the girls's? Or Daniel's?