CHAPTER FIVE: FRIDAY NIGHT BITES

The next morning, I got dressed for school. I was still disoriented after that nightmare and hoped to god it wouldn't come to be. I don't want to hurt Jeremy, no matter how much my blood-lust wanted me to. After I finished procrastinating and finishing my makeup, I started to head for the door.
              "I'm going out tonight." My mom said.
              "Like what?" I asked, "On a date?"
              "Actually yes, it's a date."
               I was at a loss of words. A date? For about five seconds, I stood there in cold silence. i even considered 'telling' her not to. The both of us sat on the couch.
              "Are you sure mom?" I asked, "Are you sure you want to...date?"
              "I believe it's time I got back out there, meet new people. It's what your father would want."
               I didn't know what to say, so i just decided to roll with my moms decision. "Who's the lucky guy?" 
              "I met him on MySpace, his name is Jason Van Helston. We actually go way back."
              "Oh." I didn't really know what else to say, "Well, if it's okay, can I hang out with Jeremy tonight?" I asked.
              "Is he your boyfriend?" My mom teased.
              "What? No!" I said, "We're just going out as friends."
              "Sure." My mom said, not buying it. "I said the same when i first started going out with your father"
               I rolled my eyes and got up. "Well, I've gotta go to school." My mom nodded and I walked out the door and met up with the girls at Dunkin' Donuts. We bought jelly-filled munchkins and then walked to Starbucks to buy strawberry-lemon teas. 
              "So my mom is going on a date tonight." I said.
              The girls nearly spit out their drinks. "What?!"
               "My thoughts exactly." 
               "With who?" Indi asked.
               "Some guy named Jason Van Helston." I said with a disgusted look.
               "How do you feel about it?" Alex asked.
               "I'm just not sure if my mom is ready to go out there." I said.
               "Are you saying that for her or are you saying that for you?" Raven asked.
               "I...I don't know." I said, "I just can't see my mom with anyone else other than my dad."
               "And we understand that completely, but don't you think your dad would want her to move on with her life?" Alex asked.
               "That's exactly what she said." I said, "But it's been six months, i'm not even over it yet."
               "No one ever gets over death in the family, the only thing you can do is try to move forward. That's what your mom is doing."
               "Alright." I said, trying to hold back my tears. Raven then side-hugged me to comfort me.
               Once we got to school, I felt a little better seeing Jeremy's face. In that moment, it felt like everything was going to be okay. I walked past Chloe and then she started whispering to her friend. I ignored her and walked up to Freddy. He seemed happy to see me.
                "Hey." I said.
                "Hey." Freddy said, "I'm sorry about yesterday, I don't know what came over me."
                "Don't worry about it, as long as you're okay."
                Freddy and I then walked together down the hall.
                "You're still hanging out with Jeremy tonight?" He asked.
                "Yeah, i'm actually kinda nervous."
                "Don't be." 
                I was then surprised when Jeremy sneaked up behind me and poked my back. I jumped a little then turned around and saw him. I stopped to talk to him.
                "Hey." He said.
                "Woah, you scared me!" I said. I then turned to see Freddy continue to walk to class.
                "He doesn't seem to like me very much." Jeremy said.
                "Just give him a minute." I said, "Are we still on for tonight?" 
                "Yeah, what time should I pick you up?"
                "Eight o'clock is fine." 
                "Great, sounds like a plan."
                Suddenly, I started getting a painful headache. I grabbed my head and started groaning. I nearly fell to the ground before catching myself on Jeremy's arm and the locker.
               "Woah Lucy, are you okay?" Jeremy asked concernedly.