20. Truth

Symphony

Nakita ko kaagad ang baboon pagkababa ko ng taxi. Hmm. May kasama na naman siyang babae. Tsk. Hindi parin talaga siya nagbabago. Kumirot 'yong puso ko pero nagkibit-balikat ako't nagpatuloy sa paglalakad papasok ng shop. Let's try the same act and see if it still works.

"Hey boo!"I greeted when I got in.

Without bothering to check the girl he's with, I leaned down to kiss him. I felt scared suddenly when he did not kiss me back like what he used to do before. Wait. This is wrong. I stopped what I did and was about to face the girl he's dating. But then, three ladies approached us. One of them is so familiar.

"Hi. I hope you still remember me."the familiar girl greeted. "Jax. I want to tell you something."she faced Jax who now stood up. "You know what, you don't deserve to have her. She's too good for you."

Then she tapped me on the shoulder. "You're too gorgeous to settle with a man like him. He doesn't deserve you."

Slowly, humarap ako ng maayos kay Jax at sa babaeng kasama niya. Para akong binuhusan ng milyon-milyong balde ng yelo. Sa sobrang taranta at sa biglaang paninikip ng dibdib ko, isa lang ang alam kong tamang gawin sa oras na 'yon. And I did what I thought was right—I ran away.

Umuwi ako ng bahay na umiiyak sa hindi ko malamang dahilan. Sinubukan kong patahanin 'yong sarili ko. But my stupid eyes won't stop raining tears for hours! Ang sakit...

Three years ago...

The rain was still heavily pouring down. The weather outside seemed to have the same effect inside the room. I remembered that Jax and I were just kissing a few minutes ago but when I opened my eyes, I realized I'm naked with him on his bed.

"This—this is wrong."I stammered in panic.

He pulled himself away and sat down on the side of the bed. He was hitting his head with his knuckles.

"Jax, will you stop!?"awat ko sa kanya dahil lalo lang akong natakot at nataranta sa ginagawa niya.

"I can't believe what I've done—that... that I almost did it to you!"he blared angrily with so much hate bestowed in his eyes.

"We were just carried away. Stop feeling that way—unless you planned all this."

"Sisi, no. I would never want to do this with you this way."he said reassuringly after taking my hand. "I mean it. I'm in love with you and I would never want to hurt you."

"Okay. That's it. That's all I need to hear."

"Naniniwala ka naman sa'kin diba?"

I nodded even though the truth is I'm not sure. The conversation I've read earlier before dinner just came back to my head.

"I'll get your stuff so I can drive you home."

"Baboo, wait."

"Kitty, why?"

I was so confused at the moment and I didn't know I'd be doing the stupidest mistake in my life. Well, I just wanted to make sure that this confession of his is not one of his hundred pranks to bully me.

"I'm sleepy."I whispered.

"Do you still trust me after what happened, Si?"nakakunot ang noo na naitanong niya, na para bang 'di siya makapaniwala.

"Can we sleep?"I replied instead.

It was at midnight when I woke up to something buzzing under my pillow. I checked what it was and found Jax' phone. I was hesitant to open what the message is. In the first place, the phone isn't mine. Jax was hugging me too so I have reason to be more hesitant.