Chapter 3:The Embarrassment

Braden

My eyes follow Luna Alec as he paces along the sidewalk outside, trailing back and forth across the wide expanse of the café's front window. The Luna has his phone pressed up to his ear and while my ears strain to hear through the glass, I still don't know what the heck he's saying. His pacing takes him farther down the sidewalk, causing me to slump down with my arms over the table in front of me, my wolf echoing my frustration.

"Easy, Braden. Now it's your turn to be patient." I tilt my head enough to see Alpha Christopher, seated across from me, but I can't tell if he's teasing me or not. The Alpha's eyes follow his mate as well through the window and I know that he'd be by the Luna's side if they weren't both worried about me.

Without my mate's intoxicating scent, I can realize that my actions at the airport were out of line. I'm not the first wolf to find his mate, for moon's sake. Maybe because I'm an omega, but I didn't have any control over my instincts. Unfortunately, now my stomach is tying itself in knots over any embarrassment or trouble I caused my mate.

The fact that the Luna knows my mate is the only thing that dragged me off the floor. We loaded up into the Alpha's truck and found a coffee shop near the airport. We're going to stay a little longer in the city instead of returning directly home as Luna Alec is trying to get a hold of my mate.

Would he even want to meet with me after how I behaved? I hope I didn't scare him but I know there is no chance in hell I didn't embarrass him. I take another glance at the Alpha, to make sure he was still watching the Luna, and I reached into my hoodie pocket to pull out my phone.

I sit back slightly and, holding my phone in my lap, I open it up to the search browser. Luna Alec told me my mate's name in the truck, Lee Jae Bin. I already asked how to spell it, along with a million other questions, fired so rapidly that it made the Alpha silence me again.

My browser spins for a few seconds before the results show up. The first headline screams at me:

J.A.M.M.I.N.'s Jae Bin Attacked by Crazed Male Fan in Airport

It was less than an hour ago and its trending.

My thumb clicked on the link without thought and there was even a picture. It was taken after the Alpha had ordered me to stop, and two beefy security personnel were pinning me to the ground. The Luna and Alpha were just out of frame, but my mate was front and center and I could feel my heart beat pick up.

I didn't really have a good chance to look at him when I was too obsessed with getting my nose underneath his clothing, but I remember the all black outfit. His jeans look tight, showing off his sexy thighs and I remember the feel of his jacket and shirt against my face. With his hat and mask, the picture doesn't give me any better look.

I don't bother to read the article, but instead go back to the browser results. I'm about to click on the Image tab when I sense the Luna stepping up to the table. I shove my phone back into my pocket and jump to my feet. The Alpha just waves me back down while pulling his mate to sit by him.

"What did he say? What did you tell him?" All my attention is focused on Luna Alec.

"Braden," the Alpha warns. It isn't a command, but I know that I need to reign myself in.

"I didn't really tell him much, it isn't like I could tell him the truth over the phone," Luna Alec begins, talking to both of us at once. "I told him that Braden is a member of Christopher's family and apologized for his behavior."

My wolf seems to whimper and I feel ashamed. Not only did I embarrass my mate, but also the Luna and Alpha as well.

"He agreed to let us explain and his manager is going to allow him an hour late tonight. We'll go the hotel and get a room where Jae will meet us. The boys are on a strict schedule tonight because they have rehearsal tomorrow as well as a performance. They're going to be flying out right after tomorrow night."

I let out a whine at the news, sinking my face in my hands. My wolf had perked up when the Luna said we'll meet my mate, but the news that he's going to leave again so soon causes a tight sharpening in my chest. The Luna's understanding hand pats my shoulder understandingly.

"Does he know about us?" the Alpha asks. I glance up again for Luna Alec's response.

"No, I haven't told him anything." The Luna looks over at me before continuing. "Honestly, I think we should tell him."

My eyes widen when I realize what he means. "R- Really?"

"Baby," Alpha interjects.  "I know that you think it would be easier, but think about what could happen to Braden."

I see understanding hit the Luna's face and it hits me a moment later.

"You think he will reject me," I whisper. It isn't a question.

Another sigh, this time with a comforting hand placed over mine on the table. "Christopher has a point.  Even if I believe there would be a chance with enough time, that's what we don't have any of. Jae will be gone from here tomorrow and going to be back in Korea in two months. His life isn't something he could drop, even if he wanted to."

I can feel the wetness of the tears dropping own my cheeks, but I can't care enough to wipe them away as realization sinks in. My mate won't want me and he's going to leave. He'll live across the world from me and there's nothing I can do. I can't even follow him, because a wolf without a pack for too long is extremely dangerous.

"I'm sorry, Braden," the Alpha speaks and I know that he's also realized the full situation. "If we don't tell Jae the truth, then he can't reject you."

I slink back into my chair, letting the tears fall silently into my lap as I feel completely drained. If my mate doesn't fully reject me, I'll be able to go on like before. Well, mostly like before, I'll still feel a powerful urge to get to my mate, but it's better than the alternative of risking my wolf going insane with rejection.

"What do you plan to discuss with him then?" I heard the Alpha ask.

"Well, I've told a lot of the pack about my exchange family, just not who Jae is. Maybe, we can try to explain that Braden was too excited about meeting my little brother that he acted too friendly?"

"Too friendly? The man was practically mauled, baby."

"What do you suggest?"

"Could we just tell him what everyone thinks already, that Braden is just a really big fan?"

"I thought about that, but I don't want him to think badly about Braden."

"It's fine," I interrupt. "If it's for my mate, it's fine." As much as it hurts to look crazy in front of my mate, it's more important that he's happy and comfortable. "I'll apologize, too. I just want to meet him, even if it is just one more time."

My lip quivers at the end of my last sentence and I need to cross my arms over the table, letting my face fall into my sleeves as my body finally breaks out into sobs.