Chapter 6: Goodbye, My Mate

Braden

"Well, he asked if I was... safe with you," the Luna admits.

A loud growl does erupts from the Alpha as he takes a step forward. My mate rises quickly and he actually takes one step closer to the Luna, who also stands.

Chris, that won't help. Luna Alec warns.

"Why wouldn't you be safe with me? He doesn't even know me." The Alpha speaks outright to his mate, but glares at Jae at the end. Even I'm looking at my mate. It made sense what he asked about me, the plan was to let him believe I was a little cuckoo, but what did the Alpha do?

If it was coming from anyone else I would find it funny. The Luna is safest around the Alpha than anyone else in the world. However, the protectiveness was coming from my mate and my wolf was a little anxious about it. I tried to reassure myself that it was because of how close they were, but a part of my brain reminds me that they aren't really brothers.

Jae throws a concerned look at the Luna, rattling off something quickly. The Luna responds just as quickly, earnestly shaking his head no. My mate doesn't look convinced and he steps even closer to Luna Alec. I glance at the Alpha and its obvious he's holding back growls. I feel a whining start in my chest as the distance closes, but manage to keep them down, for now.

Jae focuses on the Luna, speaking low and rapidly. It sounds like he's trying to convince the Luna about something. Luna Alec sighs before responding, speaking more calmly, in a reassuring tone.

Jae reaches out and places a hand on the Luna's shoulder, still speaking urgently. I react before the Alpha can, or maybe I'm just less controlled, because I stand up and grab the Luna's arm, pulling him away and causing him to fall onto the sofa behind us.

Now, the Alpha really reacts, one of his large hands grabbing my shirtfront and jerking me up and towards him menacingly. It only takes a second to clear the redness from my vision and I realize what I've done.

I'm sorry, Alpha, I plead immediately. I glance over at the Luna to make sure he's alright, but he's no longer sitting on the sofa. In sync, the Alpha and I look up and see the Luna trying to pull his arm from Jae's grasp as my mate pulling him to the door. Jae practically shouts something and I don't need a translation to guess. They're crazy!

I'm flung down to the sofa, while the Alpha storms across the room. He easily pulls Luna Alec away from Jae, but then he grabs Jae around the neck and pushing him backwards against the nearest wall.

Immediately, I'm there. My hands gripping the Alpha's offending hand, angling my body as far in front of my mate as possible. I release a loud growl right in the Alphas' face and bare my teeth. I completely disregard that he's my Alpha when Jae is threatened.

Stop, you're freaking him out! The Luna's outburst has both of us freezing. Closing my mouth, I turn and look up at Jae. He is slightly pale with wide eyes, not exactly afraid but definitely alarmed. Looking closely, I can see that while the Alpha's hand is firm at my mate's throat, it isn't squeezing or injuring him.

Looking back at Alpha Christopher, I don't apologize, but I do turn my gaze down and tilt my head to the side to expose my neck. Releasing my hands from around his wrist, I step closer to Jae, pressing myself back. The Alpha slowly relaxes his grip and takes a step back. Luna Alec is quickly at his side, wrapping his arms around his mate to calm him.

Behind me, Jae tries to shift to the side, away from me. I feel his body brush past mine and I just follow his steps, my wolf demanding me to stay between him and any other possible dangers. It takes most of my focus but I don't respond to the warmth radiating from him, or the haze of his scent that slowly starts to surround me. I just need to be here for him.