Chapter 17: Roommate

Braden

I could hear the knock even with my head shoved in the closet. Desperately, I cover up the large box, burying it completely among the mound of clothes and some old toys I'd kept from childhood. Once it's completely out of sight, I shut the door and glance around again.

I'd been pacing my bedroom after being shooed out of the living room. Now, I'm fully dressed and I step back and slide the closet door closed. Letting out a calming breath, I turn around the room, examining it for evidence of my Jae-obsession. Luna Alec had notified me only minutes before that my mate will be rooming with me for his stay here! My room!

With the pack on lock down, not even the jealous Alpha would let Jae stay outside of our protection. My own jealousy wouldn't have allowed Jae to stay in any other's room and if he sleeps on a sofa anywhere else I would have to camp myself nearby.

Sighing once, I'm already picturing how amazing my bed will smell, my mate's scent transferred directly to the sheets. Changing out the bedding for my clean, spare set was the first thing I did. I set aside a blanket and pillow for me to use on the floor tonight. Thankfully, I remembered to strip his sweatshirt off of my pillow, packing it away.

There hadn't been lot of time, so dumping out the cardboard box that previously held toys, I scooped up all the framed pictures lying around. They were packed away with all the pictures I had to take down from the wall, folding up the tape as carefully as possibly until I can bring them out again.

Satisfied, I went to the door, stopping to straighten my clothes. Aside from pulling on a new pair of black running shorts, I'd changed my tee shirt. Jae's shirt is lovingly tucked away as well and I'm now wearing one of my own, plain white ones. I catch a whiff of Beta Reed's scent and link him.

Did you walk Jae up here?

Yeah. I didn't stay for the whole show, but I enjoyed the trailer. What?

What happened with the driver that brought him here? Usually when humans stay with us, we all get a command notice from the Alpha to avoid shifting.

Oh, he took off almost as soon as your mate was inside. He's probably well on his way back to Seattle.

Slightly, I'm relieved that my mate doesn't have a way to escape, I mean, leave right away. Not without asking for help from Alpha Christopher at least. I reach out and pull open the door.

Tilting my head back, I get to gaze up close and personal at Jae's face. When I was in wolf form, I just about died in happiness having him so close. He kept petting and stroking my fur and I don't think anything else could feel that good on Earth. Only now, he's not looking at me, but just a little over my shoulder instead.

He sort of nods a greeting in my general direction and I awkwardly step aside and let him enter the room. After he crosses the threshold, I'm left holding the doorknob and I wonder if Jae would be more comfortable with it left open. We usually keep our doors closed, trying to keep our scents back as much as possible, so I go ahead and shut the door before turning to observe my mate.

He stopped in the middle and is looking around guardedly. Most of the room opens to the left, with a dresser and full-size bed pushed against the far wall, and one window directly across from the door. The closet door and bathroom door are on the nearest wall, with my desk centered between them. The bathroom is mostly white and simple, just a toilet, pedestal sink and a narrow shower stall.

My room is pretty standard for a solitary wolf my age in the pack. Others my age sometimes still stay with their families, until they find their mate. The pack has a few older, unmated wolves, and they get slightly larger rooms.