Chapter 14: Hiding

Braden

I ruined everything.

Jae is still unconscious, having been placed on the sofa in the nearest living room by a pack member. When my mate first started to fall, the Luna jumped in to catch him, but ended up being toppled under his weight. I'm pretty sure the Alpha could have caught him easily, if he'd wanted to.

The next couple of minutes were a blur, the pack doctor was called forward and everyone else was ordered to disperse. Of course, this had to have happen when a good portion of the pack was present. I'm a little surprised that the crowd was as small as it was, actually.

Ever since the rogue attack, the entire pack has practically been on lock down. All of the individuals and families living in the outer housing, or in town, were called back immediately. The warrior teams are on alternating shifts, patrolling around the house, staying close.

The Alpha had come home with some scratches, but in the end, everyone returned. Ms. Frizzle and her incubated tank, too. The clinic and Luna Alec's apartment were ultimately abandoned for now. I wonder if the human residents have come across the damage done yet.

The Alpha, Beta and lead warriors are still trying to find the underlying reason behind the attack. Since it's suspected that the Luna was the target, the entire pack is still is on high alert. However, it's also possible that the Alpha was targeted, when only an omega and a human were there to get in the way.

Safety comes first, so we're all trying to be accommodating over the fact that we're right on top of each other. A couple of the living rooms have been taken over by pups, along with the playrooms, letting them run around to release all that energy. The living quarters are completely full, with some families sharing together. I would have offered to double-up, but rooming with another wolf without my mate, even temporarily, made me my inner wolf uncomfortable.

With all the commotion inside, it hasn't been feasible to work on my pack duties. There are plenty of volunteers in the kitchen and a lot of the daily chores are pushed to the back burner for now. I was enjoying some solitude up in my room, listening to Jae's solo track from two albums ago on repeat and I missed the commotion of him arriving downstairs.

It wasn't until the Alpha called me down through pack link that I realized something was up. I saw the car outside the front steps on my way down and found it strange. I wish the Alpha had warned me who had come, because upon sight of my mate I completely lost all senses.

Huddled in the corner of the living room, I'm currently keeping my distance from my mate and the Alpha, Beta, Luna and Dr. Crane gathered around him. I haven't shifted back yet and even with my head buried in my paws, I can hear Jae's soft, even breathing. My nose ceaselessly drawing in his luscious smell.

I was still wearing his tee shirt, too. I tried to keep his scent on his clothes as long as possible, carefully replacing them in the bag, stored in the air-tight container. I must have pulled them out too many times though because soon there were only very faint traces left.

They were then upgraded to more frequent use. I don't wear his tee shirt out of the pack house, knowing I'll most likely shift, but I wear it all the time at home. I gently tucked his sweatshirt over one of my pillows, and now I fall asleep pressing my nose against the soft fabric. I know that I'll soon have to wash them eventually and then every last hint of Jae will be rinsed out.

I'm relieved that Jae's oversized shirt stayed wrapped around me when I shifted. I know my shorts had ripped but the tee shirt was roomy enough to fit my alteration without any damage. If I hadn't been so surprised though, I might not have shifted involuntarily.

The shock of seeing Jae, here of all places, was too much. He was just on the phone with Luna Alec before the attack and now he's in the pack house! Wow, and I thought I'd never get closer to him! I don't even mind that he's here for the Luna. Heck, the Luna was in a dangerous situation less than forty-eight hours ago, the entire pack is concerned.

Braden, he's waking up. The Luna's gentle voice interrupts my musings. Lifting my head, I look over but can't see Jae with everyone surrounding him. I know I should shift back, but I can't bring myself to leave him and go all the way to my room. If I don't go to my room, no pants.

Does he remember what happened? I ask, starting to inch forward. Staying low on my belly, I squeeze my way around furniture to stalk closer.

Wait a little bit. I get as close as I dare, hoping Jae won't look down and see me here. Dr. Crane, the pack doctor asks questions about how he's feeling while Luna Alec translates. I listen to the low rumble of my mate's answers. The doctor must be satisfied, because he leaves after just a few minutes.

The sofa creaks softly as Jae sits up, sending me scooting backwards and hiding around one of the comfy arm chairs in the room. I let just enough of my face peek out to watch him. The Luna sits beside him now, while Alpha Christopher and Beta Reed stand off to the side. Quietly, Luna Alec continues to speak with him.

The color has returned to Jae's tan skin, although sweat still dampens the hair at his temples. He seems to be a little shaken up still. Distractedly, he runs one hand through his hair, pushing it back from his forehead. My tongue laps out a little and I bite back some drool.

Hungrily, I take in his appearance. Seated, the jeans encasing his legs are deliciously tight along his thighs. His trademark black boots are on his feet. He's wearing another black tee shirt, this one with some sort of white design I can't make out.

Closing his eyes, he scrubs his hands over his face, leaving them there for a second. When he brings them down, he places one on each of his knees, takes a deep breath and looks directly at Luna Alec. He asks something in, a serious expression locked on his face.

Without answering, the Luna flashes a look in my direction. Oh, no. The Luna links the other three of us in the room. He just asked if he saw Braden turn into a wolf.

We all hear Beta Reed chuckle internally. Yeah, that'd be a little hard to hide.

I couldn't help it! I yelped back.

Cool it. We stop when the Alpha speaks up. Braden, sometimes these things can't be helped, we know that. We should use this opportunity to explain everything.

No! I instinctively gasp. I couldn't stand it if... I trail off, not able to put my fear of rejection into words.

We don't have to mention that he's your mate, but he's already seen your wolf. It might make him understand better to explain about the pack. Maybe he won't feel the need to come all the way here and check on my mate.

Alright, Luna Alec interrupts. So, we're telling him? Braden?

I still have my eyes on Jae, sitting still but impatiently for Luna Alec's answer. I still don't want to reveal any secrets because I'm afraid they'll all leak out. He's already seen my wolf though. Also, my inner wolf wants to tell our mate anything and everything Jae wants.

Okay, we'll tell him.

A/N: I got an email this morning, for work, where someone who I've only emailed a handful of times over the last three weeks started theirs with, "TGIF!!!!!"

Alright ma'am, we're all glad it's Friday, but I don't think I know you five-exclamation-points-worthy yet.

TGIF!  (Don't worry, we'll get there.)