Chapter 3

12 years later

A young woman, her green eyes on working on cleaning and polishing the staircase to make it sparkle. She huffed as her hair got in the way. Dang it this hair. Why couldn't it be straight.

She heard a scream from the upstairs bedroom. She moaned as she went up.

Miss Grace was having a fit over her peppermint tea. The young lady came in as Miss Grace's voice shrilled.

"You disgraceful little minx! You poisoned my tea!" she yelled.

The young lady crossed her arms. "Ah don't know what are ya talkin' about." she said.

"You putted an extra minute on my tea! I take you in as my niece and this is what you give me in return! Answer me Prudence!"

Prudence stared at her coldly. "Me name is Opal!"

"I don't care if you are a princess or jewel or anything! You are my niece..."

"More like a servant Grace!" Opal shot back.

Grace tried to slap her but with Opal being with her this entire time, she knew what to do whenever her "aunt" tried to slap her. Duck and Grace would topple over and she never laid a hand on her.

"You disgrace of a life! No supper and head to your room!"

The seventeen year old ran upstairs to her quarters. She was the only girl with her own room at the girls home. The others were young as nine years old which explains why she doesn't have friends her age. Most of the girls here were scared to Miss Grace. Once they turned twelve, they had to work for Miss Grace and it wasn't pleasant either.

She laid on her bed, her eyes furious at the woman who tried to hurt her. For twelve years she's lived like this. Taking orders and causing small pranks.

For example, she once taught a nine year old to be "smart" on her answers if she didn't know. She would write 'I don't know and don't want to either.' as a small practical joke.

Another was she she placed chalk on Miss Grace's seat and all day, Grace was walking with chalk on the side of her dress. Of course, Opal was the one who would get in trouble.

It wasn't like Opal would stay forever. She would leave in a year when she turned eighteen or supposedly.

She never knew her real birthday or her last name ever. All she knew of her past life was her name was Opal. That's all. She lost the image of her mother in her mind. No matter what, she can't remember her face. Let alone her father's.

She sat up and began towards her closet. She found the now worn out shoe box that held her dolls, now looking old and her dime necklace.

She got out the necklace and got a good look at it. It was a dime that had ten cents on one side as the other had a lady duck on the other side.

Tears weld up in her eyes as she clenched it tightly. Why was it her! What did she do wrong? What did her parents do wrong? Why did she look so young for her age?

She angrily tossed the necklace. She didn't even care if it broke. She heard a small crack as she saw the dime split in half.

She got up and picked up the dime. Two pictures were on each side of the dime, only seeing the top of the two.

On the left was a man, maybe Scottish who has whiskers that he can't even tame as the picture showed. He smiled exactly how she did. He wore a brown fedora with a red bandana around his neck and a brown coat. His eyes had bravery and love in his eyes.

On the right was a picture of a lady who was beyond beautiful. She had golden hair that even the sun can't beat which was wrapped in a ponytail. She wore a white shirt with straps. She had exactly Opal's eyes that had an adventurous look. A look that she was fierce, mischievous that she didn't care what happened to her, and in love.

As Opal began to trace her fingers on the pictures. They were so much like her that it may only mean one thing.

These people were her... No they can't be her parents at all.

Miss Grace came in without warning. Opal's hands fidgeted as she hid the necklace in her hands.

"What do we have here?" Miss Grace said, peering at Opal's hands.

"None of your business!" She spat out.

"That's no way to talk to a woman Prudence. Now lemme see it."

Opal held it closed to her but Grace wasn't giving down. Without hesitation, she yanked the necklace out of Opal's hands.

"Give it back! It's mine!" she yelled as she tried to take it back.

Grace shield herself and saw the inside of the necklace. Her eyes widened as she saw Scrooge and Goldie as the pictures. These people, had this beautiful but "badly behaved" young lady.

"You look extraordinarily like that man in the picture. The woman has your eyes as well." Grace said.

"Yeah I figured it out." she said. "Now give it back."

Grace looked at Opal. She can't. Grace dropped the necklace and began to smash the glass with her heels. "Oops sorry Prudence but rules are rules." she laughed as she saw Opal pick up the necklace.

The glass was smashed but the pictures seemed intact.

"What now Prudence? What kind of damage can you do now?"

Opal's temper erupted. She lunged at Grace, toppling them both over. Opal began to grab Grace by her neck, letting little air to breath.

"Don't you dare do anything to me! It's your fault that we are all like this. Spending the money that's ours for your needs! You selfish, twisted lady!"

Grace's eyes rolled back as her face turned blue. She tried to gasp for air but she couldn't. Opal let go. She can't live here any longer.

She gathered her broken necklace and the box with her old dolls. She took a few skirts and tops in case. Along with a bit of money.

She ran down the stairs, running past some of the other girls, out the door and to the streets.

The sky was gray and sprinkling with water as the puddles splashed on her shoes. She didn't even know where she was going. She just kept on going.

The streets of Duckburg were dim and some lights. Opal fell against a street and collapsed. She fell against it and began to look up at the starless sky.

She got up and got near a side building. She laid herself next to the wall and fell into a deep sleep.

Wake me up in a hundred years.

She whispered as she closed her eyes and the vision of the city vanished before her eyes.