three - dinner with the jacobs

"Uh.." David cleared his throat and snapped his gaze over to his parents. "Anyways, Jack, Lucy, these are my parents and my sister Sarah."

David pointed towards a girl, about a year older than Lucy, sitting in a chair. She was sewing a shawl what seemed to be a shawl up.

"Maybe David's partners would like to join us for dinner. Huh?" Mr Jacobs turned to his wife.
"Why don't you add a little more water to the soup." He kissed her on the cheek.

"Mayer." Mrs Jacobs chuckled and stalked off towards the kitchen.

**

The six were seated at the table, all enjoying the wonderful food. Excluding Les who was fast asleep in his parents' bed.

"So I gotta say, from what I saw today, your boys are a couple of born Newsies." Jack started as Lucy nodded, a big smile decorating her small face.
"Can I have a little more?" He then asked.

"Of course." Sarah blushed.

"Anyways, I'd say we could sell 1000 papes a week. At least."

"That many?!" Mr. Jacobs asked, astounded.

"More when the headlines are good." Lucy smiled politely.

"And what makes a good headline?" Sarah asked, sitting between Lucy and Jack.

"Well, keywords like 'maniac, corpse' and uh, lets see. 'Nude, lovenest.'"
Jack smirked into his answer as Sarah giggled and the eldest Jacobs gave eachother disapproving looks.

"I'm sorry about him. Seems he's talking too much." Lucy exclaimed through gritted teeth. Hoping desperately Jack would stop embarrassing her and himself.

He only cleared his throat awkwardly and nodded.

"Sarah," Mr. Jacobs started. "Go get the cake your mothers hiding in the cabinet." He smirked.

"That's for your birthday tomorrow." She scolded and hit him with a towel.

"Eh, I've had enough birthdays. Tonight's a night to celebrate." He cheered.

As David and Sarah got up to get the utensils and plates, Jack and Lucy sat in the wooden chairs, silently wishing they had it this easy.

**

Lucy sat next to Sarah while her parents were washing the dishes.

The two boys were it on the fire escape, talking about who knows what.

"So, you and David?" She smirked.

Lucy rolled her eyes with a chuckle.
"What do you mean?"

"Well, it's obvious my brother likes you." She nudged Lucy's shoulder with her own.

"Yeah okay.." Lucy's face flushed.
"But we only just met today."

"So?"

"So.." she started.

"Hey Luce! I'm heading out."