thirteen - the great escape + first kisses

"Lucy!"

Lucy grunted as she heaved herself out of the grungy bed, nearly hitting her head on the bottom of the top bunk.

Coughing could be heard from all around, everyone was sick. It was only July, but due to the close quarters, germs were spreading rapidly.

Lucy had took it upon herself to care of the younger children that couldn't care for themselves.

She rushed over to a little girl that was getting sick in a mop bucket. She then grabbed the girl's hair into a messy ponytail and cautiously patted her back.

When she finally stopped, Lucy let go of her hair and kneeled down beside her.

"I'm done, thank you." The girl forced a smile upon her pale face.

The dark purple bags under Lucy's eyes crinkled as she smiled back at the little girl.

When she ran off, Lucy reluctantly got up and walked over to the window. It was just starting to get dark out.

A cough rattled through her body as her reflection caught her eye. She was a ghostly white, her nose was red and her lips cracked.

A rock came soaring towards the window, startling Lucy. She quickly averted her eyes downward, opening the window to get a better view.

"Lucy!" A boy called from the dirt path. David.

"Dave!!" A tear sprung out of Lucy's left eye and traveled down her face. "I can't believe you're here!"

"Look Luce. Snyder has scabs out patrolling the streets. God, they almost spotted me. Be ready, the boys are coming down tonight."

"A-alright! Thank you Dave-" another cough made its way up her throat. David had a look of sympathy, which Lucy hated.

"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine for tonight."

Davey nodded, sparing her one more smile before running off into the shadows.

''Could tonight come any faster?'

**

"Lucy! Lucy!!" A few small children shouted at the sleeping girl.

Lucy sat up, ready to deal with some more sick kids.

"What? What's the matter?!" She asked frantically. All the kids were gathered around the window, waving her over.

Lucy pushed her way through the crowd, looking down and spotting the leader of the Brooklyn newsies himself. Along with Jack, Race, Mush, Blink, and Dave.

"Spot!" Lucy smiled breathlessly.

"What am I, chopped liver?" Race mumbled sarcastically.

"God Lucy! You look terrible!" Blink piped up, getting judged by Mush thereafter.

"Gee thanks ya bum."

"We're gonna get you outta there, don't worry." Jack called up.

"Yeah? And how exactly are you gonna do that, huh cowboy?"

Jack paused, cursing under his breath for not planning it out beforehand.

"Well, you're only on the second floor-" Dave started.

"So just jump." Blink shrugged.

Lucy's eyes widened as she frantically shook her head no.

"Don't leave Lucy!" A few kids whined. She quickly embraced them, not caring about the germs.