CHAPTER FIVE!

𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑
Chapter Five !

          AURORA TOOK A BITE of her sausage, humming in satisfaction

          AURORA TOOK A BITE of her sausage, humming in satisfaction. She then plopped egg inside of her mouth, doing a happy dance. "Do you know who used to sit there?" Hal asked Chic. "Not again," Aurora muttered, cutting her pancake into pieces. "Our daughter, Polly. You sit in her chair, you sleep in her bed. You're filling a void. That's the reason you're here, the only reason," Hal reminded Chic.

          "It's okay. It doesn't bother me. Everyone needs something, right? And I don't expect to stay here for free. I never have," Chic told Hal. Aurora sighed, "It's not only that. Dad, you make it seem like you don't have enough or aren't pleased with your other two daughters that you do have here at home. But it's whatever. This is supposed to be a normal family breakfast."

          Aurora swallowed a piece of pancake then reached for her glass, "But Lord knows we never have one of those."

          PICKENS DAY HAD CAME around, and everyone gathered to honor General Pickens. Aurora knew what they were honoring was wrong after she read Jughead's article about the Uktena, but she thought no one would care about her opinion so she kept it to herself. She put on a polite smile, curled her hair, and put on her casual black coat and followed her mother out to the car.

          The Cooper family, minus Hal, arrived at the park. They smiled and waved to other families and teens, putting on the flawless facade that was absolutely necessary according to their mother. "Have you ever had a maple snow-cone?" Alice asked her son. "I have not. Is it delicious?" Chic asked. "Oh, Chic..  Betty, Aurora," The two girls turned to their mother, "I'm so happy." Aurora smiled at her mother but then took sight of her father storming their way. Aurora grabbed her mother's arm, "Mom, Mom. Dad!"

          "Hal, I thought you said you weren't coming," Alice rolled her eyes. "Do you know what you've let into our house? In the room next to Betty's?" Hal asked angrily, eyes darting between his wife, Betty and Aurora. "Would you lower your voice? And what on earth are you talking about?" Alice asked. Hal turned to Chic, "I went on your computer, Chic.  I saw what you were doing online with your clients."

          Aurora's lips parted in shock and her eyebrows furrowed together, "Dad, stop." "Stop snooping and stop harassing him," Betty added, gesturing towards Chic. "And I don't want to hear it from you or you, Aurora. You bring home this stranger and move him into Polly's bedroom?" Hal asked his daughters. "It's not Polly's room anymore, Hal. It's Chic's," Alice told her husband. "He has to go, Alice, and you know damn well why," Hal lowered his voice.

           "Hal, I swear, I threw you out once, I'll do it again," Alice threatened. With that, Hal glared once again then walked away. Alice turned to Chic, "I'm so sorry, honey. Come on. Let's get some cones." The four ordered snow cones then slowly made their way towards the stage where Fred Andrews had stepped up to the mic.