CHAPTER NINE!

𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑
Chapter Nine !

          THE COOPER FAMILY, MINUS Chic, sat at the dining table

THE COOPER FAMILY, MINUS Chic, sat at the dining table. Hal had his hands entwined and the three Cooper women sat in front of him. "It's been a long time coming, Alice, but I'm out. I'm done fighting. I want a divorce," Hal announced, slowly nodding.

          "Are you still seeing Penelope Blossom?" Alice asked with a straight face. "No. And this isn't about that. This is about how I worshiped you like a goddess for 20 years. We raised a family together, and then the first chance that you get, you side with a stranger over me? And you two. Betty, Aurora. I can't believe that you would choose Chic's side over your own father," Hal shook his head at his daughters.

          "Dad, if this is truly about Chic, then I'm with you, okay? Let's ask him to move out," Betty told Hal. Hal looked over at Aurora who pursed her lips and looked away. "You sold The Register to that scumbag Hiram Lodge. I should be the one divorcing you," Alice rolled her eyes at Hal. "Hiram offered me a fairer price, Alice. Half of which I will give to you, if you agree to set me free. . . immediately."

          "I'm listening."

          AURORA BOUNCED JUNIPER ON her knee, making goofy faces at her to make her giggle. Betty then walked into the door, all eyes turning to her. Polly stood up with a smile. "Polly, what are you doing home again?" Betty asked.

          "She just walked through the door with these perfect babies," Alice told Betty as she reached out to hold Juniper's hand. "I thought it would be nice to surprise Mom," Polly told Betty, her voice then going down into a whisper, "And I was surprised to meet our brother."

         "You have to hold one," Aurora gushed, glancing at Betty then looking back to Juniper.

          "I'd love to," Betty said, walking over to Aurora and Alice. Aurora held Juniper out to Betty, but Betty took Dagwood from Chic instead. "Oh hello," Betty softly said to Dagwood.

          "Hey, where's Dad, by the way? Are we all gonna go to the will-reading together?" Polly asked. Aurora furrowed her brows and looked up at Polly. "What will-reading?" Alice asked.

         "What? You - You mean Dad hasn't told you?" Polly then explained the secret will Clifford Blossom left before his death.

          AURORA SAT IN BETWEEN Betty and Polly. She fixed the bottom of her pale blue blouse then crossed one leg over the other, eyes going to the man who stood at the podium. "'I, Clifford Cochrane Blossom, being of sound mind and body, do here inscribe the terms of my last will and testament. Firstly, ownership of Thistlehouse will stay with our beloved matriarch, Roseanne Blossom'," the man read, Nana Rose smiling to herself.