CHAPTER EIGHT!

𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑
Chapter Eight !

AURORA LEANED ON THE locker beside Betty's, her books tight to her chest and hair pulled up into a high, messy ponytail

AURORA LEANED ON THE locker beside Betty's, her books tight to her chest and hair pulled up into a high, messy ponytail. Betty closed her locker door and the two Cooper girls turned to see Cheryl standing in front of them. "Hey," The two said. "Betty, Aurora, I wasn't going to tell you, but all night long I've been twisting and tuning in my canopy sleigh bed and thinking, 'I'd want to know too'. I take no pleasure in sharing this with you—"

Betty's phone chimes and she looked down at it. "Uh, actually, we have to go, Cheryl. Chic texted me, he's at home with my dad." "This is about your father," Cheryl paused them from leaving. Betty and Aurora shared a confused look before letting Cheryl explain to them about their father that sneaks around with Penelope Blossom.

Soon enough, Betty and Aurora arrived at their home. As soon as they walked in, they could hear their father shouting to their brother. "I'm onto you. Your little game isn't gonna work with me. Where's my grandfather's watch, huh?" Hal asked Chic who was staring down at his feet with a terrified expression. "Dad!" Betty shouted to him. "Is that in here?" Hal asked, searching through the drawers. "What are you doing? I thought you moved out," Betty said as she and Aurora walked up to Hal.

"I did, but I had a change of heart, and I was feeling like, maybe it was time for me to move back and finally get some answers from him," Hal turned and pointed to Chic, "But your brother can't seem to even look me in the eye." "That's because you're terrifying him!" Betty exclaimed. "Oh. Oh, I'm terrifying him?" Hal asked, "Come on, Betty. What the hell is going on here, really? Why does it stink of bleach? And where is the dining-room rug?" "I don't know. I think she sent it out to get cleaned," Betty answered. "Oh. And what about the lamp that's usually there?" Hal pressed.

"Why are you interrogating us?" Betty asked. "Because something is going on in this house! This kid is doing what, turning Turning tricks? They're coming through the house Who knows what? They're stealing and pawning up, right Chic? Speak up!" He shouted as he go closer to the Cooper boy, "What else have your pals taken from us?" "Dad! Get away from him or I will call Mom," Aurora shouted, eyes narrowing as she pointed at her father. "Fine. Think I care?" He asked, not turning to look at his daughter. "And I will tell her about you and Penelope Blossom," Aurora threatened, finally earning his attention.

"Maybe the reason you feel like we're hiding things and keeping secrets is because you are," Betty seethed. "You need to leave, Dad. Now," Aurora demanded. Hal gave Chic one last glare before turning and walking out the front door, it slamming behind him. "Thank you, Aurora. Betty," Chic thanked. "We didn't do it for you, we did it for Mom," Betty said for the both of them.

"What if he comes back? Or calls the police?"

AURORA SLIPPED OFF HER gloves and looked at her mother, "Dad was here. He was pissed off and asking a lot of questions." "Oh, my God," Alice breathed out. "Yeah, but don't worry, he won't be back," Betty reassured her, "Mom, we're in way over our heads here. The shady man's car was parked outside our house for two days."