Chapter Nine: Wedding Blues

The ceremony was beautiful. Chris and his wife were the perfect couple. Two people so young finding true love so easily, something of fairytales and shitty novels.

Tasha sighed as she sat with a glass in her hand, sipping the water as she watched the crowd of people dancing to the loud music. Gavin hadn't spoken much to her, and she wasn't quite sure why. He had asked her out like this was a date but he had barely even looked at her.

"Gavin?"

"Hmm?"

"Why don't you ever date? I mean, this is totally gonna give you an ego boost but I'd assume you have a ton of ladies who want in your pants."

Gavin looked at her for a moment before looking back at his phone with a shrug. "One night stands are a lot less complicated."

"Maybe, but maybe you just think that because the right girl hasn't come along."

Gavin was silent for a moment as he looked at the background of his phone screen, where he had a photo of her and him. "Maybe I'm just waiting for her to notice me."

"With your loud mouth everyone notices you." Tasha teased affectionately, but when her eyes met his she felt her heart jump. "Why are you staring at me?"

"You're beautiful." Gavin replied, his grey eyes gazing into hers.

Tasha blushed, averting her gaze to the crowd of people dancing. "T-thanks."

When a slow song came on, Tasha frowned, staring down at her phone. All the couples began to dance, making her feel lonely. As much as she liked spending time with Gavin, she hoped this was something more than a simple friendship.

Gavin noticed Tasha's facial expression drop when the slow song came on. He didn't want the date to go like this, he just didn't know how to deal with his feelings for her. They overwhelmed him.

"Do you, uh—" Gavin cleared his throat as he looked over at Tasha. "Do you wanna dance?"

Tasha glanced up at him, her eyes shining as she smiled. "Yeah, I'd like that."

"I'm warning you now, I can't dance worth shit." Tasha said with a laugh as he rested his hands on her waist while her arms wrapped around his neck.

"That makes two of us, sweetheart." Gavin chuckled.

"I mean, I can do the polka and the waltz, but that's about it." Tasha admitted with a shrug.

"I'd pay to see you dance the polka."

"Haha. Not gonna happen."

As Gavin danced with Tasha, his mind kept going back to his recent conversation with Hank. He had pulled him aside when Tasha had went to talk to Chris earlier to congratulate him on his wedding.

"What do you want, old man?"

"What kind of game are you playing with, Tasha, Reed?"

"I'm not playing any games."

"Right. Because you, really care about her, is that it? She's only twenty one!"

"Im aware how old she is, Anderson."

"So what? You're going to take advantage of her? She's just a kid, Reed! You may be her partner, but you're not shit."

Gavin was brought out of his thoughts by Tasha's arms tightening around his neck. He then noticed the peering eyes of their coworkers on him. He didn't care what they thought of him, but Tasha didn't deserve the ridicule that she would get if things went any further.

As soon as the song was over he quickly untangled himself from Tasha. "I'm-Uh- gonna get a drink."

Tasha felt her heart sink as she watched him rush through the crowd away from her. She frowned as she walked back to her table, grabbing her wine glass.

Stop freaking out, She walked over to the drink stand, only to see Gavin standing in a corner, with his hands all over this blonde chick. Tasha felt tears fall down her face as he began to make out with her. Disgusted and hurt, Tasha turned away from the scene, hurrying to the lobby.

"Tasha? What's wrong?"

Chris had followed her once he noticed she was upset. Tasha tried to hide her tears but Chris held onto her shoulders. "What happened?"

"I-I'm Fine, Chris...y-you should be enjoying your wedding."

"Tasha, you're one of my best friends. What happened?"

"I just... I'm so stupid! I thought Gavin... I thought he actually liked me... he, he had been so kind and he... I thought he cared but, but then he left me and I saw him making out with some random chick and... " Tasha bit the inside of her cheek to hold back her sobbing.

Before Chris could speak, Tasha noticed Gavin coming towards them.

"I can't — I need to go." Chris tried to stop her but Tasha took an automatic cab and drove home.

"Chris, where the hell did Tasha run off to?"

Chris glared at Gavin as he walked up to him.. "You're a fucking idiot! How could you do that to her?"

Gavin felt his heart drop. "She saw?"

"You're unbelievable." Chris just shook his head, walking away from Gavin.

Gavin stood there for a moment, wishing someone would just beat him up.

.

As soon as Tasha shut her front door she slid down it, sobbing against the floor. She payed there for a while before she heard her phone buzz on the floor.

Tasha reached for it, her crying only growing louder as she saw Gavin's name and a photo of them together pop up on the screen.

She let out a scream as she threw her phone across the room, curling up into a ball.

I'll never be enough.