Chapter Eleven: And You Let Her Go

Tasha, on the other hand, was battling with herself every day. She wanted to forgive him, and she wanted to trust him— but her heart couldn't handle the possibility of more heartbreak. Not now. Maybe not ever. He was her best friend, and she loved him — but she was never enough for anyone. Why would she let him in after what he did? Sure it wasn't exactly the worst betrayal on the planet, but it was still a betrayal.

Tasha was beginning to find distractions from her feelings in other ways. She devoted herself to her cases during work, and when she was alone she found herself focussing her emotions into music. She had met a nice guy at a concert, and while she knew she didn't want anything long term, she needed a distraction and the guy was handsome. They exchanged numbers, and made plans to go on a date the next day.

Gavin had been slowly mending his friendship with Tasha. They had begun to speak a little more, and he hoped with time he'd be able to show her that he does care for her more than as a friend. When he kissed her that one day, he felt something he had never felt before. It felt like his entire being belonged to her. He wanted nothing more than to hold her close and kiss her every chance he could get, but he knew that would only set him back further.

Gavin noticed Tasha staring at her phone with a smile while they did their paperwork. She had been on her phone practically all day.

"What's got you all giddy?"

Chris laughed, "Didn't you hear, Reed? Tasha's got a hot date tonight."

Tasha blushed, while Gavin just looked at her in confusion. His heart sank as he saw her keep looking at her phone once more. "Well, sorry to cut this conversation short — actually no, I'm not sorry — my hot date is here. See you boys tomorrow."

As Tasha left Gavin couldn't help but watch her as she walked away. She's going on a date?

"Maybe if you wouldn't have been such an idiot, she'd be dating you."

Gavin glared at Chris. "Fuck off."

"Hey, you wanted my help right?" Chris crossed his arms as he leaned against Gavin's desk.

"I don't know what to do. I've tried everything, man!"

"Time heals all wounds. Give it time." Chris sighed. "You know, Tasha used to talk about you all the time when you weren't around."

"Has she talked about this so called hot date?"

Chris snickered. "Don't get jealous, Gavin. And yeah, she met him the other day at that concert she went to. She sent me a photo of him and her. They look cute together."

Chris held his phone up to Gavin, who as soon as he saw the photo averted his gaze. Tasha was smiling while a brown haired man kissed her cheek. "I don't think Tasha wants it to last, though. I think she's just using it as a distraction."

"Tasha isn't like that."

"She wasn't until you broke her heart."

•••

Tasha was surprised with how well the date went. They had dinner at Jeremiah's and he was a completely gentleman. When he drove her home, they kissed and while it felt nice, it wasn't anything compared to how Gavin kissed her. But she pushed the thought aside as she pulled Jer into her house, locking the door behind them.

•••

"Do you know where I can find Tasha Price?"

Gavin looked up, glaring slightly when he noticed it was Tasha's new boyfriend.

"Hey Jer!" Tasha smiled at him as she walked over to her desk. "That mean looking dude is Gavin, and this is Chris."

"It's nice to meet both of you." Jeremiah smiled, making Gavin roll his eyes.

Jeremiah walked Tasha to the car, pulling her into a passionate kiss as Gavin walked past them. Without another word Gavin got into the car, slamming the door shut. Tasha got into the car after Jeremiah left, smirking to herself when she saw how pissed Gavin looked.

Karma's a bitch.