Chapter Three • Clandestine

A cosmic entity that predates the universe and possesses unlimited power. Can you think of an existence more intentional?

It was solely and attentively created to persuade chaos and the demise of mankind. No--it's not the power itself that tears us apart, but our own longing for distinction and the greed for something greater that we convince ourselves we don't have.

Humans. We are the most susceptible to ourselves. Bred to wreck everything in our path because of our emotional talent. It is with this power, the tesseract, where we are reminded that we are nothing but players in a game we are destined to lose. Our purpose is submission, to our humanity and the temptations of the universe.

Why do we try so hard to convince ourselves otherwise? What does the universe know that we don't?

S T U T T G A R T, G E R M A N Y

I put in an earpiece and throw myself out of the helicopter that has hidden itself just above the clouds. My black combat suit blends into the curtain of night until I open the parachute.

Only seconds later, I hit the rooftop as countless pairs of glowing blue eyes turn to the sound of the impact. I unclasp my train and rid it off the side of the building.

I give a little smile to my audience while I steady myself.

"Hi."

Either they aren't ones to talk or they took it the wrong way. Nonetheless, they came charging full speed ahead.

I elbow the neck to my right and spin to their back, taking the gun from their strap. I use them briefly as a shield while I shoot over their shoulder, taking out four more glowing eyes.

Throwing the gun to the ground, I drop my shield to invite those whose eyes are squinting in frustration as they run towards me. I jump on the shoulders of the first and use a full body spin until they hit the floor. I guess It's an acrobatic day.

I quickly jab at ones neck on a fatal nerve and kick of their body to get onto yet another set of broad shoulders. My feet don't touch the ground for a good 10 seconds as I swing from person to person, taking out the remaining bodies.

Finally, I jump down and settle my feet. Less than a minute. That's pretty good.

"Roof 2 Secure."

"You could be faster if you used your gun."

I smirk up at the sky as if they could see me.

"Roof 5 Secure. Safiya, eastbound, three stories down."

I turn to see an entire floor of guards looking up towards my rooftop, now fully aware of my presence.

"I got it." I quickly scope the area for anything I could use until I spot rope on one of the fallen guards. I wind it up and throw it to wrap onto one of the poles of the water tank on that roof.

The yelling in my ear becomes deafening. "Saf, you're kidding me. You could walk!"

"That takes minutes!" I throw myself off the side of the roof, grasping to the end of the rope for dear life as I crash through the large window of the guarded floor.

The room was impressive. An architectural masterpiece with art inspired by Germany's great Otto Dix. Fitting, I suppose.

The guards and I all stood still for a few moments like they were allowing me to catch my breath. Or maybe they didn't expect me to crash through their window. Either way, I spoke aloud to the wide eyed mass, resting my hands on my hips.