Chapter Ten • Faulty Trigger

The night was accommodating as per usual, but tonight it entertained unaccustomed guests. It was easy on the Asgardian people, allowing the stars to shine, projecting glimmers of hopes and dreams, even if it were staged. It's reason held no foul intent, but it offered it's imaginative canvas for their moment of solace.

I followed the twinkling lights down the bifrost, straying further away from the commemorations of the city until they become background noise to my breath. The night's gesture had already been surprise enough and my presence could provoke it to change.

I have been replaying the conversation I overheard last night in head. They should have the opportunity to mourn without concern of my attendance.

Heimdall stands in his expected position, yet more earnestly, as if he does not dare to move his eyes from the bifrost's entrance. He holds a grip on the sword that shouts grievous danger, popping the veins in his forearms.

"You're not at Frigga's funeral?" He speaks. I'm surprised he was able to spare some of his attention to my entry.

"I believe it best to give my prayers from afar." I settle next to him, looking out into space as he is. "I could ask the same to you."

It is quiet for a few moments before he smiles ahead of us. It is not one not of happiness. It seems he finds his own anguish amusing. Perhaps he finds its reason ridiculous, but nonetheless, he cannot help the feeling.

He releases his grip on the sword as he steps down to my level, maintaining his stare into the expansive void. "I will spare us the conversation I've been having with myself. Where I declare I am to blame for the death of the one I held at such high regard. She would understand my absence, as she knows my shame comes from a place of admiration."

I nod understandably. The days to follow and how we feel as the hours pass need no justification. The air is too heavy with the weight of our guilt. Everyone feels they could have done more. The actions they take will be for them more than it is for her.

There is a comfortable silence that we bask in, appreciating the sorrowful feelings we share. A state of permissive behavior. Cheers from Frigga's funeral provoke us to turn and face the scene. We watch the city of Asgard from a distance as lanterns start to float in memoriam.

"Do you think about them, in times like this?"

His sudden investment catches me off guard.

"I'm sorry?"

Heimdall stands still, but relaxes his stance. His eyes remain on the city. "You know I do not mean to overstep. And this knowledge will not leave the space between the two of us."

I frown, now understanding what he makes mention of. Although, the distaste is in myself and how he may resent my harsh answer.

"Is it horrible of me to say I don't?"

I take away his moment to reply. More realistically, the feeling that he is obligated to assure me of my morality.

"They did not care about the consequences they would leave me. They even stole my chance to send them off properly. Like this."

"They were remarkable physicists. They did wonders for Midgard."

"They were awful parents." I move to cross my arms on my chest. "They should not be given any other title than that of their work. They became their own experiment and that is all."

Heimdall looks to me, not daring to show any sign of pity, but rather one of his attentiveness. "I hope you see them in some form of esteem."

"Both of them volunteered as test subjects. Both of them. To a prototype of theirs that they were not sure would even work. They chose to enter an uncharted realm with no solid plan on how to get back. No concern for what they would leave behind." My heated face catches the sight of Frigga's apparition as she soars through the night sky, up to Valhalla. Her liberation tempers me. Her peace bringing temporary solace. I turn my head away from Asgard.