Chapter Six • Subversion

A S G A R D

The journey is what I can assume to be as quick as the speed of light, yet I feel like I'm experiencing what seems to be infinity. Outside of the bifrost's rainbow lining that is already favoring my childish astonishment of space, I see more than lifetimes.

I'm clutching onto Thor's abnormally large chest for dear life as we pass planets and whole galaxies. It seems endless. Infinity. Space, numbers, time, god. Whether or not it truly exists, the idea has kept me alive. The idea that there is always something more.

How beautifully unsatisfying.

Thor grips tighter around my waist to signal we have reached our landing and the pressure on my hair relaxes in the next second as it falls gently upon my shoulders again.

The silhouettes of our three bodies project themselves on the wall in front of us as we emerge from the glowing passage. I squint my eyes until I can adjust to the light of the realms golden reflection, but it seems the other two are more than used to it.

Asgard, the most glorious realm. D.A.R.K. had studied this place after Thor had first come down to Earth. It's as beautiful as it is ironic.

Asgard is the leader of all the realms, preaching peace, prosperity, and representing superior technological and cultural advancements. Yet, it had all been built up from unparalleled military excellence, and their tactics had been exceptionally savage.

You can tell as much without knowing anything really. No man should ever have this much gold.

It's comical to try so hard to hide a destructive, oppressive past. Peace treaties do not suppress those in the darkest corners of the universe. It's inevitable that the past catches up to you.

If my word is good for anything, than I can say confidently that every reign holds hypocrisy. This place proves no exception, but I came with no other expectations.

I smile away from the eyes of the gods, laughing to myself at how I can't allow myself in the presence of beauty without finding its faults.

I break away from Thor's grip, trying not to stray too far from his side as my eyes wander around the golden finishes. I can feel him smile at my back as he addresses the gatekeeper.

"Heimdall, happy to see you again. Thank you."

"Welcome back." The gatekeepers voice booms possibly even louder than Thor's. I look to put a name to the voice, soon pairing it with a rather muscular, golden dressed, yet modest man. One who radiates nobility, whose eyes look more wise for their own good, and is perhaps too humble for the power he possesses.

I like him.

He turns slightly to meet my eyes not a moment later. "Ms. Natalle, It is a pleasure to see you beyond Midgard."

I look to Thor, unmistakenly confused, yet utterly intrigued, to which he quickly tends to beyond a soft smile back.

"This is Heimdall, the all-seeing and all-hearing shield of the nine realms, as well as the guard of the bifrost. This will take you anywhere in the world you desire and this man is aware of most everything happening throughout the universe."

I couldn't help but relish in the way Thor speaks of him. It was proud, eager, like he were presenting Asgard's greatest trophy, yet his tone holds the utmost respect.

I raise my eyebrow playfully, turning back towards Heimdall.

"In that case thank you and I'm sorry."

He smiles and shifts more comfortably in his stance. "An apology is not necessary, Ms. Natalie. My mind recognizes you in high esteem."

The fact that I killed over 90 people in the last week must have just slipped past him. I smile nonetheless.