Prologue

Tears streamed down her face, the world around her slowly crumbling down

Tears streamed down her face, the world around her slowly crumbling down. 'No. Harvey. Don't go.'

He looked at her in pain, 'I'm so sorry, I love you.'

He waved one last time before turning around, taking the plane to his destination. She sunk to her knees, this couldn't be happening. It had to be dream, it didn't feel real. Her heart slowly shattering, leaving a gaping hole in the place it once was. She choked on the air she breathed in and choked on it again when she breathed out.

'No... no.' She yelled, her mother trying to soothe her pain.

'This is what's best for him, honey. He needs to follow his heart.' Her mother whispered quietly.

She shook her head, her voice raspy and sore, 'No. He's running away from his family, he's following his ambition. He's following the call of money and wealth. He's following a lot of things, but not his heart.'

Kyra shot awake with sweat on her forehead and tears running down her cheeks. She jumped out of bed and ran towards the bathroom, splashing water in her face. She looked up to see the broken girl in the mirror, a smile covering her face that did not reach her eyes. Because no matter how surreal it felt, it was not a dream. It was a memory, one that she hadn't thought of in twelve years.