VIII

'Rachel, whatever it is, it's going to have to wait,' Jessica said when walked into her office, seeing Rachel sitting on her desk

'Okay, but you told me to bring you everything I had on the Bailey case this morning.'

'Great. Leave it on my desk and I'll pass it through sometime later,' Jessica answered as she carelessly kept going.

'Sorry, Jessica, but I was hoping that we could go over this today.'

'I was hoping to be out the door by now, besides, it's not me your teaming up with,' Jessica argued, 'I think your partner will arrive any time now, ask Donna.'

Rachel sighed as Jessica walked away and she went to Donna's desk, 'Hey, Jessica said you'd know where to find the person I'm working with today.'

Donna smiled and looked up from her desk, 'Yes, Kyra Anderson. She's in Harvey's office for now.'

Rachel smiled, 'Thank you, you're a life saver.' She opened the door to see a woman standing on a stool to reach the books stacked on the top shelf. Rachel frowned when she saw a floral printed skirt with black lace, a big fluffy black and white coat and burgundy coloured tights. 'Are you Kyra Anderson?'

Kyra jumped slightly and sighed in relief when she didn't fell backwards, 'Yes! You must be Rachel.'

Kyra climbed off the chair and Rachel nodded, 'Yes I am.'

'Good, so, tell me. A Pro-Bono case, who is it? What's happening? Why? How?'

Rachel smiled and opened the files, 'Well-'

But she was immidiatly cut off by Kyra, 'No. Put those away, make yourself comfortable on the couch. I made some tea, take a cup.'

'Excuse me?' Rachel asked.

Kyra smiled kindly, 'Sorry, I should've said that after. Anyways, here is what I want you to do. I want you to tell me about the situation, without the files. I want to know his story, not his record or his charges.'

Rachel frowned but sat down and took a sip of the tea, 'Well... He's been in prison for twelve years, away from his family... They don't want to see him, because they all think he killed a person. He was found bend over a dead girl and now he's about to be executed. I think he's innocent and I want to proof it.'

Kyra looked at Rachel and smiled, 'That's incredibly kind of you, Rachel. Have you started on anything already?'

Rachel nodded, 'Yes, I made my motion. But I couldn't file it, because I'm not a real lawyer yet.'

Kyra looked at the papers handed to her, 'This is very well drafted.'

'Thank you.'

'But I'm afraid it won't work,' Kyra continued.

'What are you talking-- No-- look there is no reason to believe that he should've been convicted. Look at the evidence,' Rachel argued, panic striking her.

'That's not the point, I only do Pro-Bono cases... I've done cases just like these. I'm sorry but, the standard to reopen cases is higher than it says in the books. Tearing open old wounds is not something they like to do, so they don't unless there is undeniable evidence,' Kyra told her.

Rachel leaned back into her chair, 'How am I going to do that?'

Kyra smiled, 'Not I, we. From now on, we're both on this case. And I'm going to help you as much as I can. So, call a taxi, because we're going to visit Leonard Bailey.'

***

'Since when do we get a room instead of having to use those damn phones?' Leonard asked as he walked into the room, noticing the new funny dressed woman.

'Since I officially became part of your legal team,' Rachel answered.

'We,' Kyra whispered under her breath, apparently soft enough for no one to hear.

'My legal team?' he asked in disbelief.

'That's right. The firm that I work for is taking your case.'

'Is that why she's here?' Leonard asked as he glanced at Kyra.

Kyra held out her hand, 'It's nice to meet you, Leo- can I call you Leo? I'm Kyra Anderson and we are now part of your legal team.'

Leonard leaned back, 'Yes, Leo is fine,' he uttered in disbelief, 'Thank you.'

'You're welcome,' Rachel answered, 'But we still need to get the case reopened and to do that we need to find something new.'

'I read the files, Leo. And I read your police report,' Kyra added, 'Rachel and I noticed that you said there was a woman with you that night who can testify that you didn't kill that couple.'

'That's right, Maria, but that's not new.'

'Well, it's new as far as the court's concerned, because it was never admitted at trial,' Rachel argued.

'Well let's admit it.'

Kyra shook her head, 'It's not that easy, we need to understand why it was never admitted.'

'Because the damn woman up and disappeared before my trial. My lawyer didn't do a thing.'

Rachel leaned forward, 'You had an alibi witness and your public defender let her get away?'

'That's what I've been saying. Maria could've told the jury that I didn't do it, instead no one told them. Two weeks later, I'm in here, and I've been here ever since,' Leonard ranted.

'Is there anything else I need to know?' Rachel asked and he shook his head.

Leonard was taken away by guards not long later and Rachel and Kyra left the prison and got into the taxi. 'Rachel, find Maria Gomez. But be careful, I think there's something shady going on here.'

'Why?'

'His lawyer may have been lazy or just really stupid, but she did finish law school and she did have a career at stake just like us. There is a chance that there's a reason his lawyer didn't go after Maria,' Kyra explained.

'What are you going to do now?' Rachel asked.

Kyra bit her lip and looked at her, 'I'm sorry... But my friend needs me and I should be there for him.'

Rachel glanced at her in disbelief, 'There is a man's life at stake here!'

'Yes, well there is this guy named Mike and his life is pretty much at stake too.'

Rachel stiffened, 'You're a friend of Mike's?'

Kyra frowned, 'Mike? No. Never met him, I'm a friend of Harvey.'

'I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have snapped. I'm so grateful that you're helping getting him out of prison.'

Kyra smiled, 'This is my destination, good luck with Maria. Keep me informed, I wrote my number on the back of the files.'