XV

'Your Honor, permission to treat the witness as hostile?'

'On what grounds? The witness hasn't even said anything yet,' Larry Marsden argued.

'On the grounds that five minutes ago, she told me she'd sooner deny Leonard Bailey a new trial than to risk herself looking incompetent,' Kyra announced, referring to the little small talk Rachel and her had had with Georgina this morning.

The judge looked at Georgina, 'Is this true?'

'Yes,' she answered, glaring at Kyra,.

'Then permission granted.'

Kyra smiled and took a few steps forward, 'Ms. Casey when you were Leonard Bailey's public defender, did he tell you that at the times of the murders, he was in the apartment of a woman named Maria Gomez?'

'Yes.'

'Which means he not only had an alibi, he had a witness that could testify to it,' Kyra concluded, 'Is that correct?'

'Yes.'

'Then why in God's name didn't that witness ever take the stand?' Kyra asked.

Georgina sighed, 'Because she left town without telling anyone, right before the trial started.'

'Did you try to locate her?'

'Yes, I did.'

Kyra frowned, 'How hard did you look?'

'I did my best,' Georgina angrily told her, as if warning her not to push further. Yet they both knew Kyra would and they both knew there was nothing Georgina could do about it.

'The truth is, you didn't look for her at all, did you?' Kyra snapped back.

'That's not true. I did everything I could to try to find her.'

'But you didn't. And if you had, there would've been an alibi witness that would've told the jury that he couldn't have possibly have committed those murders.'

'That witness was a drug addict with a prior conviction, and she would've been eviscerated on the stand,' Georgina argued.

'Then why did you try to find her at all?' Kyra asked, a small smirk playing on her lips, 'Let me suggest an answer. You did try to find her, because you know if you did, Leonard Bailey would been found innocent. But you dropped the ball. Leonard Bailey, he went to death row. And you'd rather let him stay there than to admit the truth.'

Mike and Jessica smiled at each other knowing that they were both thinking the same thing and Larry Marsden raised to his feet, 'Ms. Casey, in your estimation was Leonard Bailey innocent?'

Kyra's eyes widened, 'Objection, Your Honor, calls for a conclusion.'

Larry smiled, 'Your Honor, they opened the door to this when they put her on the stand, and no one is more qualified to answer than his own attorney.'

'I'll allow it,' the judge announced and he looked at Georgina, 'Ms. Casey?'

All seen in Georgina's eyes was hatred, anger and vengeance, 'I thought Leonard Bailey was guilty. And I still do.'

***

Kyra was about to go to bed when she heard someone knock on her door, she grabbed her bathrobe and tied it around her

Kyra was about to go to bed when she heard someone knock on her door, she grabbed her bathrobe and tied it around her. She opened the door only to see Harvey, 'Hey...'

'Can I come inside?' he asked.

Kyra nodded and stepped aside only to hear him mutter, 'Jesus, Kyra, you can't possibly be staying here? This is a disaster.'

Kyra groaned and closed the door, 'If all you're going to do is complain about my temporary home, you should just leave, because I was about to go to bed.'

Harvey smirked, 'Oh come on, you hate it.'

Kyra shrugged and looked around, 'It has it's charm.' Harvey raised his eyebrows and Kyra sighed, 'Okay! You're right. It's disgusting and incredibly small, the mattress is like it's made of rocks and the shower is ice cold.'

Harvey chuckled, 'I'm picking you up tomorrow morning and you're crashing at my place, I wouldn't even wish living here upon Ellio- never mind I would wish it upon Elliot Stemple to live here,' he concluded, 'But that's not because the apartment is any good, he just deserves to rot in hell.'

Kyra hesitated, 'That's a really kind offer Harvey, but... I'm not sure if I should crash at your place.'

'I have a guest ro-'

'Consider it taken.'

Harvey smiled and looked at Kyra, wanting nothing more than to hug her. His heart warming as it reminded him of years ago, when everything was still perfect. 'I came here to fill you in, one of our biggest and only clients might be leaving. I'm trying to fix it, but Jessica is on it too. And well, you might have seen Mike, he's officially out now. I didn't lie under oath, that sneaky bastard made his own plan.'

'Well that bastard saved your ass, you did thank him, I hope.'

Harvey nodded, 'Of course I did, I awaited him in the bar and ordered every scotch they had.'

Kyra rolled her eyes, 'Good night, Harvey. Don't forget to pick me up tomorrow.'

Harvey smiled and shook his head, like he could ever forget Kyra... 'I won't.'