c. 64; Early Morning

August 19th - 6:43am
Maine time

The room was dark, the only light playing was from a lamp in the hallway. I went to rub my eyes, quickly hitting my head with my cast, taking in the realization I had it put on twelve hours ago, along with the brace on my leg to add support for after the surgery. It ached a little as I used my fingers to rub the spot that just collided with my cast before bringing my arm back to my side. The soft snores of my brother filled the room from the right hand corner, where I assumed he was now catching up on sleep, same as Venus who sat on the other side of the room, looking comfortable, somehow.

Right next to me, Corbyn lied, his legs tangled with mine and arms softly but securely wrapped around my waist. I smiled and rested my head next to his, examining his features in the soft glow of the early morning sky and new life beginning to liven throughout the hospital. People were allowed access at seven in the morning on Sundays, for every other day was eight am to nine pm.

A nurse or two zoomed past my room to get breakfast started for everyone who was allowed to eat. I would be getting blended eggs and some type of mango smoothie hopefully, for I requested it to Donna the night before. She was a small lady with small hazel eyes and white hair. I called her my silver lining when I was high off anesthesia, and she absolutely loved it, and I'm glad. Last thing I wanted to do was offend the lady who helped me pee and brought me smoothies.

"Jocelyn, you have a visitor. Said he flew in from Florida last night." An older lady from the front desk opened my door slightly, poking her head in as I changed my gaze from the shapes I was drawing on Corbyn's arm to the woman. She was one of the two who admitted people and worked with guests, like a secretary almost.

"Ten minutes, I just woke up." My raspy voice could barely be heard, but she could, and soon as she came, left to tell whoever was waiting about the short wait.

Corbyn shifted in the bed, digging his head deeper into the pillow as I resumed drawing squiggles over his forearm that was exposed under his rolled up sleeves. His skin was hot and still tan from vacation. His small tattoo was barely peeking through as I traced it with my good hand. His hair was flat against his forehead, falling to his eyebrows.

Five minutes passed and Charlie abruptly woke from his sleep, rubbing his neck and adjusting his eyes to the morning light that began to grow and fill the room through the blinds. He examined the room, his hazel eyes landing on me as he coughed.

"I need coffee. Morning Jo, I'll be back. Neck is killing me," his voice was as raspy as mine before he turned back around. "Imma take Venus too, she'll need tea." He moved across the room to Venus, who was drooling onto her armrest, completely out.

"She's fine. And anyway, she's a heavy sleeper." I smiled as he stopped, turning and leaving the room quickly to get the coffee he's probably been deprived of for a little bit. Every since I was put here, he's been by me says Donna. Which didn't surprise me, because when this happened to our mom, he was the first to arrive and last to leave. It was heartbreaking because at the time, he just met his wife, and for a month, completely neglected her. But, he knew she was a keeper then because she didn't leave.

The next six minutes pass by before the lady returns, her head peaking through the door to see if I'm awake or feel back asleep. I send her a quick smile as she opened the door more, letting in whoever was behind her and waiting.

From the hallway came James holding a bouquet of black, white, and purple pansies. He looked calm when he came forth, causing my breath to get stuck in my throat. My mouth ran dry and all blood stopped flowing through my veins. He was here, in my hospital room, doing what I'd never thought he'd do.