Chapter 1: Welcome to New York

It was hot. A blistering, breath-stealing kind of warmth that felt as if it were going to incinerate you on the spot. Layla Williams exited slowly out of the elevator and attempted to gasp in a breath, feeling it burn as it made its way into her lungs. Beside her, Anastasia had also come to a stop and immediately began to sweat, her brunette hair sticking to her face.

    "F.R.I.D.A.Y.?"

    "Welcome back Miss Williams and Miss Konstantinova. How may I assist you today?" The AI sounded just as proper as always, but Layla could detect almost a hint of sadness in the tone.

    "Fri, we've talked about this, you can just call me Anja," the brunette girl murmured. "Where is everyone, and why is it so hot?" Anja began to immediately strip her jacket and sweater off, leaving her standing in just a pair of black skinny jeans and a lace-trimmed tank top.

    "Boss had me turn the heat up earlier, Miss Anja. He's also in the living room. Vision is currently on a mission for the Task Force, Mr. Rhodes is visiting his family, Ms. Potts is out on business, and the former Avengers are – "

    "Out being vigilantes, pretending we aren't aware of where they are, yeah," Anja grumbled, still really angry about the whole 'Civil War' business, as the media was labeling it. "Anyway, why would Tony turn the heat way up?"

    "He kept saying he couldn't get warm, Miss Anja," the AI replied dejectedly, making Layla frown.

    "Is he sick? Turn the heat down to normal people levels, Fri." Layla, too, began to strip off her jacket, going down only to her leather leggings and her well-worn Stark Industries shirt. After debating for a second, she decided to leave her thigh holster and gun on, never knowing what would happen around the formerly named Avengers tower.

    She had just talked to Tony a few days ago to confirm their annual Christmas plans and he had assured her he was still going to be at the tower. Unfortunately, a lot of other people knew he would be at the tower, too. Moving away from the elevator, she made her way into the penthouse and glanced around. A thin layer of dust covered a lot of the surfaces and it didn't look like it had been lived in much for the past few months. Anja followed behind her sedately, taking in the same details with a concerned frown.

    Standing in front of the large ceiling to floor windows that overlooked the city was Tony, a glass of amber liquor hanging precariously from gloved fingertips near his thigh. He was clad in a heavy wool coat and black slacks, looking for all the world like he was getting ready to head outdoors for an extended period of time. Layla frowned but made her way over, coming to stand next to her longtime friend as she, too, glanced out over the city.

    "Hey, squishy," she murmured. Tony's lip quirked just slightly at the nickname, but he didn't respond, making the girl sigh. He continued to stare out at the falling snowflakes making their way down towards the busy street below. "Wanna tell me why it feels like the pits of hell in here?"

    "Couldn't get warm," Tony murmured, shrugging. The motion caused the tumbler to fall out of his hand and to the ground, spilling the amber liquid across the dark floor. Tony looked surprised, seemingly forgetting that he even held the glass.

    "I'll get it," Anja insisted, picking the glass up and going to grab a towel.

    "Sorry," Tony sighed, swiping a hand over his face with a grimace. Wrinkling his nose, he pulled his leather gloves off and shrugged out of his jacket. Layla was grateful that the bruises and cuts that covered his face after the battle so long ago had all vanished, but the psychological scars were definitely still there.