Chapter 14: Girls' Night

It was Thursday, and being in space didn't change that as far as Spencer was concerned. Thursday meant it was girls' night. That meant they should be gathered around a screen, watching movies and partaking in drinks and snacks. Just like they would have been doing normally on a Thursday night when they were all together. If anything, she thought it would be a good distraction from the chaos that they were dealing with the past few days- and from the looming threat of Thanos intercepting their ship at any given moment.

So there she was. Trying to find a way to set her phone up to play on the screen in her bedroom. She wasn't even sure it was possible, given that the ship was fitted with alien technology, but damn she was going to try. She had all the girls' favorite movies on her phone, although most of the time they ended up watching the same few animated Disney movies they always did. It had become tradition to watch the same six to nine movies, and then add in others if they felt up to the challenge.

After what seemed like an eternity and several dozen curses, Spencer somehow managed to get her phone to project onto the screen. She was probably never going to be able to set it up that way again, so she deemed her phone would live there for the duration of their space trip. Not that it mattered. The only people who would want to contact her were her parents- not that they could, and she made sure to let them know what was going on before they left. They certainly were not pleased about hearing their daughter would be going on essentially a suicide mission, but they both knew there was no stopping Spencer from going.

Especially if Anja and Layla were going too.

She shook her head, before making her way out of her room and into the galley, in an attempt to find some snacks. After pilfering a few bags of salty snacks (and a bag of M&M's for Anja) and a couple sodas, she made her way into the lounge where she hoped to find her friends. Sure enough, Layla and Anja were both sitting on the couch; Layla was talking quietly to Bruce and Brunnhilde about some sort of science, while Anja was curled into a ball on the far end of the couch, headphones in her ears with her eyes closed tightly, wrapped up under her gray blanket. She wasn't sure where the rest of the crew was but she wasn't too concerned by it. Wherever they were, they were quiet and getting along so that was all that mattered.

Spencer stood in the doorway holding the snacks quietly observing her friends. It was an odd scene, and she couldn't quite resist using her powers. It had been a while since she used them; this was a good chance to shake some of the rust off. Especially if there was the off chance that she would need to use them.

She closed her eyes for a moment before looking at her friends carefully, allowing her to delve deep into her friends' subconscious. She was quickly bored by the science that was coursing through the three of their minds, and she noticed Layla popped her head up to look at her just as she switched focus to Anja. Per protocol, she was in one of her moods, judging by the choice of music she was listening to. Spencer frowned for a moment, trying to dig deeper into Anja's subconscious, but she was having little luck. Anja's mind had always been more difficult for her to read for some reason.

    But it was especially difficult when Anja uncurled herself from her cozy position and launched an ice ball in her direction, ripping the headphones out of her ears in the process. Luckily, Anja missed, and the ball of ice crashed against the wall next to Spencer. Her lack of practice meant her aim was terribly faulty, and Spencer was momentarily grateful for that.

"Dammit, Spencer! You know I hate it when you do that!" Anja hissed, hand still shrouded in ice. "Stay out of my mind."

"Look I was just seeing what you were thinking," Spencer defended. "It's not like I was trying to manipulate your feelings." She huffed. "I really don't think the ice was necessary."