Chapter 37: A Good Idea

Layla leaned over the balcony, allowing the cool morning breeze to blow through her hair. She would have to brush it again before breakfast, but the refreshing wind and the warm sunshine was well worth it. Layla hadn't realized how much she missed the Earth and its weather while out in space. Despite her disdain for many of the people of Earth, it would always be her home, and always be special to her. The large arched window of the balcony overlooked the Norwegian Sea, and the quiet city below. This little spot was already becoming one of her favorites.

    It was going to be a busy morning, and she was trying her best to enjoy the last moments of alone time she could get. She hadn't seen anyone since last night, and she was a bit anxious about what the day could hold for them. Had Thor and Loki had their talk about meeting with the rest of the Avengers? And if they did, how did it go? Layla wasn't super concerned about Thor's cooperation on the matter, but with the way Thor and Loki's relationship had been, she wasn't sure if things went alright.

    Steady footfalls alerted her to the fact that she wasn't alone anymore. Layla glanced over her shoulder, only to see one of the men in question come to a stop behind her. She turned to see Thor standing there with a gentle smile on his face.

     "Good morning, Layla," he greeted. "You would look quite content if I knew you weren't troubled." He took a few steps forward before pulling her into a tight embrace. "What ails your mind?"

    "I wouldn't say troubled, exactly," Layla started as she hugged him back, only to falter when Thor huffed an amused laugh. "Okay, I suppose I am."

    "Well, what about?" Thor asked, releasing her from his embrace.

    Layla didn't want to know, but she needed to know. "Did you talk to Loki?"

    Thor nodded. "I did. He and I had a pretty good chat late last night about quite a few things," he answered. "Some pretty important things."

    "Like what?" Layla asked. Loki was only supposed to talk to him about meeting with the remaining Avengers. What else did the brothers discuss?

    "Well, first of all, he told me Spencer went rogue and contacted the Captain and that you all wanted to arrange a meeting with him and the rest of the team," Thor explained. He ran a hand through his short hair, rubbing the back of his head for a moment. "And I think it's a good idea, so I instructed him to have Spencer arrange a meeting time."

    Layla nodded. She wasn't shocked to hear that Thor agreed to a meeting. He was open to making an alliance with Jotunheim- a realm that had been their sworn enemy for thousands of years- so why would a few estranged friends be any different? And yet, Layla was still not so sure about the meeting herself.

    "I'm not looking forward to meeting with our former teammates when they come to visit," she admitted. "They lack loyalty and morals and I don't dare imagine what deceit and betrayal they will wrought upon us in our fight against Thanos."

    "Are you aware that you have started to sound, as Anthony puts it, like Shakespeare in the park?" Thor asked, a smile on his face. Layla punched him in the arm lightly, causing him to laugh. "As for Rogers and the rest of the former Avengers, worry not. They have treated you all unfairly and without thought, but I do feel they will put aside their feelings to fight for the safety of not only this realm, but all others."

    "You sound so sure of yourself," Layla grumbled. "I just... I'm not sure if I'm prepared to face all of them. They were our friends, and they betrayed us. They are responsible for the trauma Tony and Anja still deal with."

    Thor was quiet, knowing fully well Layla wasn't done saying her piece. He nodded, but said nothing else, so Layla continued.

    "Maybe the Accords are garbage now with the shit that's happening with Thanos, but at the end of the day, we could've broken them together as a team- just like we always did," Layla went on. "But no... things had to be done the hard way. Between Steve and Bucky tag-teaming Tony in Siberia and Clint lying to and using Anja... I'm sure this meeting could just reignite that big blow out fight."