~Eight~

I am sweating.

Running from someone? Chasing someone?

But I don't know from who or what was going on.

I keep telling myself that this is a dream.

I am panting, my lungs burning from the lack of oxygen. I need air, and I need it now.

I just ran five miles. I didn't know how I knew, I just know I did. I know it doesn't make any sense. Nothing does at this point. I lean on a tree for support.

I stop, my line of vision closing in on something in the distance.

A train car.

My conscience was confused and scared, telling me to wake up, or at least turn back.

''Don't go there. Don't do it." I tell myself, but I don't listen.

I walk towards the car as slow as I can, careful not to make too much noise.

Graffiti marks the train car. There aren't any spaces left of the true car color, it's all painted. Inappropriate slang is painted everywhere.

My nose scrunches up in disgust as I try to catch my breath.

Twigs snap underneath my feet as I step closer and closer. I hear whispers.

"I have told you before, I will not go back again." Someone voices harshly. A loud slap echoes through the empty woods.

A quiet groan is heard.

My heart is beating loudly in my chest, so loud I can feel it in my head.

Pressure.

I feel pressure in my left foot. I look down to see it is swollen. I am barefoot.

I begin to question why I am barefoot in the middle of the night, why I am in the woods, why there are people out here, and why I can't necessarily feel any pain in my foot.

"This is all a dream." My innermost conscious reminds me.

I swallow a lump in my throat and continue to get near the train car. I want to know what is going on, who is there, and who is hurt.

A sudden burst of adrenaline hits me and suddenly I feel myself lifting myself up into the train car.

Only the moonlight illuminates the space, yet I still cannot see. The corners of the car are pitch black.

I hear labored breathing near me. My heart is now beating out of my chest. I am certain that whoever is behind me can hear it too. I gulp.

Slowly, I turn around. I stumble over my own footing as I do so, my eyes clenched shut in terror.

"Please..." The voice speaks, broken and battered.

"Please help me." He cried.
This voice could not be owned by a woman, I know that.

I closed my eyes shut, even more, willing this to go away.

Willing all of it to just go away.

I didn't want to be a part of this nightmare any longer.

I want to be anywhere but here.

"Look at me, Evanine." He whispered.

My hands turn into fists at my sides. I feel a tear roll down my cheek.

Slowly, I see who it is.

Through wet eyelashes, my eyes recognize who this person is.

His left eye is swollen shut, his right cheek spliced open. Bruises color his entire face. He is unrecognizable. He looks nothing like what he does in real life.

But his eyes. They are a dead giveaway.

I know him because of his eyes.

The person who is beaten, swollen, and bruised, is Fate Westbrook.

I wake up, sweat dripping down my forehead. Actually, I was drenched in sweat. My sheets were soaked. I was panting for breath.

Beside me, Claire stirred.

The clock on my nightstand read 5:45am.

How had I only been asleep for two hours? That dream seemed to last a lifetime.

The dream...

Fate...

"Evan? Are you okay?" Claire mumbled sleepily.

I turn to her, my eyes wide with panic. "Did I wake you?" I questioned, a pang of guilt hitting me in the chest.

Claire sat up next to me, brushing her vibrant hair away from her face. "No," She shook her head. "I can't sleep."

I let out a sigh, leaning my head on her shoulder. "Can I tell you something?" I whispered.

Every time I blinked, the image of Fate beat up entered my mind.

Claire hummed a 'yes' in response.

"I... I had a dream." I started slowly, trying to figure out a way to say it.

Claire giggled quietly. "Is it another one of your oddly funny dreams?"

I shook my head. "No, not this time. This dream felt so surreal. It was crazy. I-I don't know how else to explain it other than surreal and scary. Gosh, I was terrified. I was running in the woods barefoot. I stopped for a breather when I saw an abandoned train car. Someone whispered something like "I have told you before, I will not go back again," so I guess I got curious and climbed up into the car. Claire... Someone was beating someone up. It was bad. The guy's face was bloody and bruised and swollen. I felt like dying, crying, and running, all at the same time." My heart was palpitating in my chest. The memory of my nightmare just shocked me again and again.

The image of Fate pleading for help made me want to lose all of my self-control.

Claire turned to look at me, her face contorted into stress and pain. It was the same look she gave me two hours ago when I found her in my bed, crying by herself.

"Who was it, Evan?"

"It was... It was Fate."

---

Ouch. Sorry guys:/

Lots of love though!

Don't forget to VOTE AND COMMENT!