~Twenty~

I took a much needed deep breath as I felt like my throat was closing up. Ethan rose to his feet first. "We're ready." He told the nurse. She nodded in response and led us down the hall. We stopped at room number 105. Ethan was the first to walk in, the rest of us following shortly behind. Everything was white - the floors, the blankets, the machines. It made me wonder why a place where many people died in dark ways were surrounded by the color white - such a light and dainty color.

I did not recognize the person laying in that bed. The Fate Westbrook I knew was big and strong and caring. The person laying in that bed was just the opposite. He seemed so small and frail. Fate's left arm was in a cast, a bandage wrapped around his head, his face was scratched and bruised. IVs ran from his arm and connected to the machine next to him. "I wasn't expecting the entire army." Fate croaked. My eyes finally reached his, and even in such a state, he still blew me completely away. I couldn't understand the way he made my chest swell with emotion. I may not recognize much else about the boy laying in the hospital bed in front of me, but I would be a fool to not know those eyes. Despite it being such a bad time, I managed to giggle at Fate's stupid joke. "Sorry, man, you ask for one you get all four," Ethan replied, a small smirk on his lips.

Fate smiled but grimaced afterward. I appeared at his side in that instant. "How are you feeling?" I asked. He shrugged as a reply.

"The police just left. My mom went down to grab something to eat. My throat is still raw from being intubated." Fate informed me.

"We are just glad you're awake, Fate." Mom chimed in. Her arm was linked in Dad's as a small sign of affection. Fate smiled back and nodded. He thanked her quietly. "It's getting late now. We wouldn't want to keep you up after the day you had. Ethan, Mom, and I are calling it a night." Dad said. They came and hugged Fate and told him goodnight.

On his way out, Ethan turned to me. "Your curfew for tonight is 4:00am, missy." I rolled my eyes and told him goodnight. Mom reached out for Ethan and yanked him out of the room. Fate and I listened to them arguing uselessly until they were out of earshot.

"Wow, your family came." He stated. I nodded, a small guilty smile on my lips.

"Yeah... I'm sorry. I told them, Fate. Your mom and I told the police too. I-I just couldn't think of you getting hurt like this again. What Hank did was unacceptable, trying to go at your mom. It was remarkable of you to step in. You're so brave--"

"Evie,"

I reddened. "Right, I'm rambling... Sorry." I muttered. Fate grabbed for my hand and held it silently as he sighed.

"It's okay that you told them. I shouldn't have asked you to keep something like that a secret. That was my mistake, not yours. I should be the one apologizing." He sighed.

"Stop feeling so bad. Seriously. You're in the hospital. I should be the least of your worries, Fate." I scolded.

"God..." He trailed off.

"What?" I asked. He seemed to be upset over something. "You could be upset over so many things right now. What is it?"

"I just - I don't know. I've never felt this way before."

"Well yeah, I mean I hope not. You just almost got beaten to death. I would think it would be a good thing that you've never felt on the edge of life before now. Of course, it would've been better if you lived without today's events--"

"I didn't mean that. I meant about you." Fate replied, squeezing my hand. My heart sputtered in my chest as I found myself leaning over him. Fate's beautiful eyes looked down at my lips before looking back up at me. I knew I was obviously staring at him, but I couldn't find it in me to care.

I leaned down further and pressed my lips against his. My eyes fluttered closed. His hand left mine as he brushed hair out of my face and cupped my cheek. I pulled away before Fate pulled me back in, our lips meeting once again. I smiled against his mouth at that. We both pulled away abruptly as the same nurse in purple scrubs rushed in to check of Fate.

I flushed and awkwardly tucked a stray piece of hair behind my ear. "Are you okay?" I asked. He simply nodded in response. I cleared my throat quietly, trying to stop myself from laughing.

"What's going on in here, you two?" She asked.

"Nothing." We said in unison.

"Your heart rate seems to have inclined. Is it the medication?" The nurse prodded worriedly.

"No..." Fate trailed off, clearly out of excuses.

"We were uh... We were kissing." I admitted quietly. The nurse was quiet at first, but then her face broke out into a smile and she began to laugh.

"I haven't heard that one before," she giggled.

"I assume all three of us experienced a first at the same time then." I joked. The nurse made sure Fate was okay before she left.

"Well-" I began.

"Don't even," Fate warned, a small smile on his lips.

"You mean we can't talk about how much of an effect I have on you?" I grinned, pulling a chair up beside his bed. I grabbed his hand and traced the lines on it.

"If you keep doing that until I fall asleep, then we could talk about it maybe once." He muttered in exhaustion. I watched as his eyes fluttered shut. A yawn escaped his lips before he doon fell asleep afterwards.

My heart was still pounding out of my chest when Destiny walked in with a bag of chips, a candy bar, and a water bottle. "Thank you for caring about my son, Evanine." She whispered. I let go of Fate's hand and got up so Destiny could sit down. It was almost four o'clock in the morning, and I was exhausted.

"Don't thank me for something like that. Call me if anything changes. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" As Destiny sat down, I kissed her cheek.

"You got it." She whispered. "Goodnight, Evanine."

"Good morning." I smiled as I opened the door and quietly left. I drove home and made it just in time. To no surprise, Ethan was planted on our front porch.

"Dad, I'm home!" I called sarcastically.

"Haha, very funny. You are... Right on time." Ethan checked his watch as I approached.

"I'm always on time." I sighed and leaned against him as he hugged me.

"He's going to pull through, Evan." He mumbled. "Can I admit something?"

I pushed myself away and looked up at him in response. "Sure,"

Ethan seemed physically pained as he closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and refocused his eyes back on me. "I approve of Fate. He was trying to protect his mom. He's a good kid. I like him."

My eyes flew open in shock. "That's great because you know what?" I smirked up at him.

He glared down at me suspiciously. "What?"

"We kissed!" I screeched and watched as his eyes widened in terror.

"NO. I take it back!" He yelled as he chased me into the house.

"No take-backsies!"

---

NO TAKE-BACKSIES!
hehe:)
Please Vote and Comment!