~Eleven~

My stomach was tied in knots. I fell asleep last night and woke up with only four hours of sleep. I stayed up worrying about Fate even more than I normally did. I still couldn't figure out if Fate being on my mind constantly was a normal thing, though.

It broke my heart to know someone wasn't given what they needed. I was sure it wasn't his fault, I was still sad that someone like him didn't even have a home.

I walked into school this morning with a plan. I was going to help Fate Westbrook. I was not going to stand by waiting for someone else to take action when I was fully capable of being that person.

Fate was at his locker when I spotted him. His hands were empty.

My feet carried me in his direction. I forced a smile on my face even though I wanted to break down inside and tell him that I was going to be there for him.

"Hey, Fate,"

He turned in my direction before his lips curled slightly upwards at the sight of me.

"Hey, Evie," He replied, shutting his locker door.

"C-Can I talk to you...?" I trailed off, my eyes falling to the ground. I felt guilty that I followed him. I felt like I was invading his personal space and that I disrespected him.

that's because you did, idiot.

Fate leaned against his locker, causing him to lose about an inch on me. His head tilted while he gave me a questioning, curious glance.

I swallowed hard. "Uh... I may have done something..."

Silence.

I took that as my cue to continue. "And I feel really bad about it. What I did makes me sick to my stomach and I am so sorry that I did it but I felt like you needed to know so here I am trying to tell you exactly what I did but I'm scared-"

"Evanine, are you okay?" He asked lowly. I finally had the courage to look into his eyes, and I was immediately blown away.

My breath caught in my throat. I opened my mouth to reply, but nothing came out. I tried again, this time clearing my throat.

"Fate... I followed you home yesterday." I whispered. Fate's demeanor completely changed. He tensed all over, a muscle in his jaw ticking over and over again.

His eyes even seemed to change as they narrowed in on me. "What?" He replied, stuffing his hands in his jacket pockets. Before I could reply, he shook his head and strode away angrily.

My heart plummeted. I knew he'd be upset. I knew I shouldn't have followed him home.

I felt terrible, but I also wanted to help. I wanted to make sure Fate didn't continue the way he lives now. He didn't deserve that. No one did. No one rightfully deserved to be a squatter and live in an abandoned factory. No one deserved to smell and be forced to wear the same clothes every single day.

My feet carried me without mental permission. I ran to catch up with Fate, taking a bit longer than I hoped. People stared at me as I sprinted by.

"Fate, wait!" I called, only a few steps behind him. I watched as his steps picked up and the halls emptied, everyone heading to class.

We should've probably been doing the same.

"Fate!" I exclaimed, pulling on his bicep. Immediately, he turns around to face me, staring me down with a look of desperation seeping into his green orbs. I felt a bit of my heart break just then.

"Evie, promise me something." Fate whispered, tears welling up in his eyes. I had never seen Fate so much a smirk, much less cry. It made me feel terrible for him.

"What?" I replied shakily, my fingers curling against Fate's arm as I searched for a source of comfort.

"Promise me that you won't tell." Fate pleaded, his hands finding my shoulders. I closed my eyes, willing this pain to go away.

why did it kill me so much to see Fate so upset?

"Please, promise me,"

I opened my eyes and looked up at Fate through wet eyelashes. "I can't." A tear fell down my cheek. Fate's eyes followed the trail of my tear and carefully swiped it away with the pad of his thumb. His skin felt rough against my face, yet I found comfort in it.

"Then don't." Fate replied tersely, all hint of emotion gone. His hand left my cheek and he pulled completely away from me.

With one last look at me, he turned his back on me once again. This time I decided not to follow.

---

:(