~Twenty-Four~

I woke up in the middle of the night and needed to go to the bathroom. I sat up and looked next to me, but Claire wasn't there. My tired eyes narrowed in confusion before I got up and padded across the hall. When I finished up, I opened the door to see Claire sneaking out of Ethan's bedroom.

"What are you doing?" I questioned monotonously, my voice hoarse from exhaustion. Claire's eyes widened in my direction. Her hand snapped away from the doorknob as she fixed herself to where she was facing me entirely. I knew Claire well, and I knew right now she felt really guilty about whatever she did. It showed on her face.

"Claire Roanne Goggins," I said. Claire hushed me in an attempt to keep my voice down, but my head was swimming with possibilities that might have happened, none of which I liked.

Next thing I knew, Ethan's door opened, revealing hid towering shirtless figure. "Is there a problem?" He asked.

I stared at Claire, who visibly gulped under my intense gaze. "Is it true, Claire?" I whispered. I didn't have to ask it out loud for her to understand what I was talking about. Was it true that they were trying to sneak behind my back and get together? How long have they been walking around on eggshells, trying to keep it a secret from me?

Her eyes fell to the floor. Even in the dark hallway, I could see tears well in her eyes. My hands clenched into fists. "Evanine, calm down. It's not what you think-"

"Yes, it is, Ethan. Don't lie to her. I can't keep this a secret any longer." Claire interrupted. "Evanine... I'm so sorry. I never liked going behind your back-"

"And getting with my big brother? I thought we didn't keep secrets." I retorted. Claire hung her head again and this time, I heard a small sob escape her lips.

Ethan wrapped an arm around her and rubbed her back. Something in my heart gave in, like the two were supposed to belong together. Claire wrapped in Ethan's arms looked almost... natural. My chest tightened in guilt. I just lashed out at my best friend and neither one of them are fighting back. They obviously felt guilty, or else Claire wouldn't be standing here crying.  I felt awful.

"I'm sorry," I managed as my throat closed up. Claire and Ethan looked up at me in surprise. "It's not my place to tell you whether or not you can be together. Just... I need time. I need to process this. But right now it's late and we should all get some sleep."

I turned on my heel in the direction of my room and heard Claire's footsteps follow me, so I left the door open behind me and waited for her to close it. We laid down in my bed in complete silence for a few moments. Together, we laid there with my blankets up to our chins, staring up at the ceiling.

"I love you, Evan." Claire whispered.

I swallowed. "I love you, Claire."

I heard her sigh in relief, then we both fell asleep.