~Sixteen~

I couldn't get yesterday's incident out of my mind. Hank's threat hung over me as I drove to school.

"If you go to the police, you're dead."

Chills ran down my spine. I took a deep breath to try and calm my nerves. For some reason, I felt uncomfortable as I walked into school alone. It felt odd, not seeing Fate at his locker down the hall. Claire met me at my locker with a nervous grin. Her red hair was wavy and messy, but when she flicked a strand over her shoulder, she looked stunning.

"Hey, Evan," She greeted. As if sensing how uneasy I was, she pulled me to the side and leaned in. "What the heck happened yesterday?" I shook my head, forcing myself to keep my mouth shut.

I wasn't going to the police, but I was definitely telling my family and Claire when I got home today. Yesterday, everyone was on edge. I came home yesterday shaking. Mom and Dad asked what was wrong, but I couldn't tell them last night. I was so shaken up, I just wanted to be alone.

"I'll tell you tonight with Ethan and Mom and Dad. I don't think I can explain it more than once." I shivered. Wrapping my arms around my sides, I looked back up at Claire.

Her lips were pulled into a thin line, her eyes full of worry. She nodded in understanding and hugged me before heading to her locker. I sighed as I forced myself to open my locker and get through the day.

one more day. one more day and he'll be back.

"One more," I reminded myself quietly as I shut my locker and sauntered off to class.

---

I couldn't focus. Here I was, sitting in the back of Mrs Brady's history lecture, unable to understand anything she was saying. I could hear what she was saying, but my brain wouldn't register it. It just seemed like a jumbled up mess in my head. It was probably because I was thinking about Fate. I wondered if he was okay - if Hank touched him. My heart plummeted at the thought of him touching Fate or his mother. I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't know if I could take another day of school without him here.

It was odd. Before I knew of Fate's existence, I was fine. I went through each day with Claire and I was fine. I didn't worry about a boy. I didn't try on clothes and change because I thought a boy wouldn't like it. I didn't know why I cared if Fate liked what I wore anyway. It wasn't like he checked me out. His eyes were either boring into mine or focused on the ground.

Either I had his attention, or no one did.

A small smile involuntarily appeared on my lips.

either i had his attention, or no one did.

My stomach erupted in butterflies as it hit me. I couldn't believe myself.

I never developed feelings for somebody for long because Ethan always scared them off. Guys weren't around for long. But I was never mad about it because they were just a distraction to me. A distraction from class and grades and Claire. Ethan never liked any of them.

But Fate was different. He didn't distract me, and Ethan seemed to not hate him. This was a good thing. Fate wasn't a distraction, he was a certainty. Everything about him was sure and definite. He was black and white. There were no greys or in-betweens with him. I admired him, not only his looks (because I definitely admired those too) but also his actions, words, and mentality. He spoke with honesty. He acted with purpose. His thoughts are clear. He didn't do anything without reason.