~Thirteen~

After I chased Ethan down in the kitchen, Mom and Dad made us sit down and talk. Of course, that was what we always did. We didn't keep secrets from each other in this family. What one knew, all knew.

Mom was hesitant about Fate. Not because she thought we were better - it was just that none of us had ever had this issue before. We didn't know the right way about it.

Despite Ethan's constant attempts to get me into trouble for having Fate in my car, our parents knew it was for good reason. They made me promise to always let them know where I was going if Fate and I were to go somewhere in the future.

I completely understood while Ethan pouted next to me.

But I still didn't know what to do now.

"Evan, dear, why don't you bring Fate clothes? Didn't you say he didn't own any other than what he wears daily?" Dad questioned. He and Mom sat next to each other on the couch hand in hand.

Even after 22 years of marriage, they still shared small acts of affection. It warmed my heart that they still had that spark that many couples now lose in this time of era. People are splitting up left and right, making it seem almost normal. But Mom and Dad made it look like they fall more in love every single day.

After being silent during this entire conversation, Ethan finally spoke up. "I have some clothes that I've never even worn. He can have them if you think they'll fit him, even though I'm pretty sure I'm bigger than a little weenie." He shrugged, trying to hide a small smirk.

I rolled my eyes in his direction. "For your information, he's probably your size, Ethan."

He gasped dramatically. "Well then, I guess he's sort of fit."

"Fit would be an understatement..." I muttered to no one in particular. "But yes, you'll lend him some clothes?" I added in Ethan's direction.

He nodded before abruptly getting up and running upstairs. I turned my attention to Mom and Dad, who gave me a look I couldn't quite pinpoint.

"What?" My eyes narrowed into small slits as I watched them smile.

"What is this boy to you?" Mom asked quietly, her tone playful.

My eyes widened.

I don't know.

"I-I have no clue," I stuttered, "he is really nice and he's never rude to anyone at all. He catches my things when I drop them and always know when to keep his mouth shut-"

"Something you've yet to accomplish." Dad chuckled, his lips turning upwards.

"Anyway, Mom - he's so cute. He's tall, like really tall, and he has the most beautiful eyes. They're an odd color green that is indescribable. You'd have to see them to understand." I continued rambling. When I finished, Mom was grinning.

I forced myself to look away as a blush crept up my neck. "You like him." She stated. I shrugged lightly, my eyes glued to the floor.

"I mean, maybe, but it doesn't matter. I still disrespected him and he's upset with me, as he should be." I replied, my chest becoming heavier.

"You are absolutely right. I think you should apologize. If he truly is the amazing guy you are talking about while your father is present, then I think he will forgive you." Mom said.

"And if not, then screw him." Dad added, causing me to look up at them both. I laughed along with them as Dad's words registered in my mind.

"Alright, okay." I giggled, standing up. I stretched before dismissing myself before dinner to go upstairs and study.

After I studied, Claire came over to have dinner with us. When we finished up, Claire dragged me to my room to interrogate me about my talk with my family.

"So what happened? What are you going to do?" She questioned, shoving me down on my bed.

"Alright, Goggins, easy. Anyways, my parents approved and told me to apologize. Ethan offered Fate clothes."

Claire quirked an eyebrow. "That's not all,"

I glared at her. Of course, that wasn't all, but I was slightly peeved that Claire could obviously see that I was hiding the fact that I may like Fate. Claire glared harder, turning it into a staring contest.

I lost, which silently meant that I had to fess up. My shoulders slumped. "Okay... IMightLikeFate." I rushed out, hoping she didn't catch on.

Claire smiled in response. "AHA! I KNEW IT! My best-friend instinct worked!" She exclaimed, throwing herself onto my bed beside me.

I let out a frustrated huff of air.

Claire hurriedly pushed herself up on her elbows. "What's wrong? He's hot, you're hot. I don't see a problem."

"It isn't just that. I actually care about him. I want to know more about him, but I'm afraid that I actually messed up this time. What if I just lost him?" I whispered, wringing my hands in my lap.

Claire reached over and placed her hand over mine. "Just apologize first. One step at a time. Don't stress, it'll all work out." She promised, giving me a hopeful smile.

I leaned in to hug her, my grasp tight. "Thank you," I muttered into her hair. She laughed silently before her arms tightened around my back.

"Always, Evan."

---

Yeesh, short chapter.