Chapter Four

During the hunger, his teeth would sharpen, especially the lateral incisors and to a minor degree the canines. His irises would glow an otherworldly neon red and of course, he would retract the draining claws which seemed to be almost a foot in length! She once asked him why he didn't drain people of blood with his teeth like a proper European vampyrus, and for once he offered up an answer, the price for being able to tease her more. 

"Cuz vampies only suck the blood of people they love that way. It's not a feeding thing, it's an intimate one. Why? Do you love me?" he waggled his eyebrow at her. She threw a vase at him and it shattered in his face. "Worth it," he said walking away, pulling shards out of his cheek. And fire! They seemed to be extremely vulnerable to fire. If he ever gets too lippy with her she would have no choice but to set him ablaze whilst he took a nap on his favorite green couch.

The best she could come up with for the origins of the vampyrus ironically were found in Egyptian mythology. In the form of Osiris. Osiris was a deity who was the eldest son of the god Geb, or perhaps the sun-god Ra. He was a wise and fair ruler after he took over the kingdom from his father. He taught mankind how to farm and helped form the first cities in Egypt. He had a brother named Set who was deathly jealous of him. He planned his demise. Set tricked him into laying into a silver and gold coffin (mostly gold) then trapped him in it. He cut it (and Osiris) up into pieces and hid them all over the world. 

Osiris' wife went and collected his pieces out of love (aw) and put him together again, wrapping him in cloth (the first mummy!), However, it seemed that Osiris was not totally alive again. He soon became the ruler of the underworld, leading over the souls of the dead. He would bless those who served him faithfully, granting them supernatural abilities. The Kiss of Osiris. Some scholars speculated that this was where the vamprussic of old originated. But these were all myths and hypotheses. And the world at large didn't believe in them. Nor did I til just recently. He is depicted as a pharaoh with white robes and blue skin. When she asked Al, he only picked a booger and flung it at her. She smacked him with a heavy paperweight. He bled.