His Ego Is So Visible I Can Watch It Grow

My black dress hung to me like a second skin as Shawn, dressed in a matching black suit, and I walked through the doors to where there was an engagement party for my best friend. 

“Thanks for coming again, I know you’re tired,” I say swinging our entwined hands. 

“You’re welcome sweetie,” Shawn says kissing my forehead as we wait for the lift. In a few minutes the doors were opening to the top floor where the party was being held.

She squeals when she sees me. “Camila!” she hugs me before pulling back, noticing Shawn. “And you brought Shawn” Jasmine leans over to hug him who previously just shook hands with Mark.

“Its so beautiful here,” I comment, admiring the room that’s decorated with black and white balloons and streamers- the theme for the party.

“It turned out so well,” Jasmine says grinning at me widely.

Just then, another couple arrived walking through the lift doors.

“I’ll let you greet them and Shawn and I can go get drinks,” I say hugging her one last time. 

“Awesome can you grab me a chardonnay?” she pleads.

“Sure,” I giggle before grabbing Shawn’s hand and tugging him to the bar. 

I turn to look at Shawn whose already starring at me. 

“What?” I ask, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

“Nothing, you just look beautiful,” He says smiling as my cheeks heat. 

“You already said that in the car,” I say, unable to stop grinning. 

“Can’t I tell you again?” He says, his hand resting on my hip. 

I roll my eyes. “Knock yourself out,” 

“Two chardonnays and a beer,” The bartender says placing the drinks on the ledge. 

“Thanks,” I say grabbing the two wine glasses. “I’m going to give this to Jaz, be right back,” Shawn nods smiling at me.

I stand still for a second, not tearing my eyes away from Shawn’s who seems just as stuck as I. 

“Drinks?” he murmurs, leaning forward till his nose brushed mine and his body was pressed against me.

“Right,” I squeaked, racing off but not before turning to look back to Shawn, his dark eyes still locked on mine.

“Jaz here,” I say once I reached her, passing her the glass.

“Thanks Camila” she says gratefully. “Thanks for coming tonight,” she adds.

I shake my head, “No problem, I wouldn’t have missed this for anything,” 

“I can’t wait until you and Shawn have an engagement party,” She giggles.

“Jaz!” I say looking away, my cheeks still red from before. 

“Oh come on! We all know its going to happen” She protests laughing. “No one so held over heels for each other like you and Shawn are not going to end up together,”

“We’ll see,” I say softly, taking a sip of the wine. 

Her eyes look behind me, “Shoot Mark’s parents are here, you know how they are, sorry Camila” she rests a hand on my arm.

“Don’t worry I get it,” I say laughing pulling her into a hug. “Go knock em dead,” I cheer and she laughs, going to meet them. 

I sigh. Yeah, I wanted to get married to Shawn but would he want to marry me? Would we even last- Shawn touring a lot of the year. What if we wanted to start a family? It would never be a stable environment for the child with Shawn gone most of the time.

“Has anyone told you that you look beautiful tonight?” a voice pulls me out of the day dream. A man, few inches shorter then Shawn, with blonde hair smiles at me.

“Yeah, actually a few minutes ago,” I say smiling. 

“Wasn’t a smart move to let you leave him then,” the guy says smirking. I begin to feel uncomfortable, shifting on my feet. 

“He didn’t really let me-”

“I’m Simon- and you are?” He asks putting his hand forward for me to shake. Well then. 

“I’m Camila,” I say trying not to
grimace. 

“Beautiful girl, beautiful name,”

“Look I better go, my-” I try to say but he cuts me off again.

“I think you should stay, lets chat for a bit,” He says, grabbing my hand to pull me back, tilting his head. 

“So who are you to the lucky couple,” He asks smiling, showing off his perfectly white teeth.

“Soon to be wife’s best friend,” I say, voice lack of emotion. 

“Cool, cool,” He nods, taking a sip from his glass. Out of the corner of my eye I see an angry figure make his way towards us. Shawn.

Guess I’ll see you at the wedding then?” He asks looking hopeful.

“I think not,” Shawn says, pulling me into his side. 

"Simon" I grinn "this is my boyfriend, Shawn"

“How you doing?” Shawn asks, his smile telling a different story to his eyes that were dark with anger. 

“Good man, look I better get a refill,” Simon says and before we can even reply he’s gone.

“How dare he?” Shawn says lowly. “My girlfriend, who does he think he is?” he slams his cup onto the table, some of it sloshing out the side. 

“Shawn, calm down, he’s gone,” I say placing one hand on his arm, rubbing softly, trying to calm him down. 

He exhales, “He had no respect for you, I mean, you told him to fuck off like 10 times but it just made him try harder. His ego is so visible; I can almost watch it grow,” 

I can’t help but giggle. “Aren’t you just one big protective boyfriend?” I tease.

 He glances at me, picking up his beer again before looking back at Simon who stands across the room, now talking to a group of men. So much for a refill.

“I hate him,” he states. I wrap one arm around his waist, leaning into his side while one of Shawn’s arms rests across my shoulders. 

“Thank you,” I whisper in his ear trying to get his attention. 

“I bought a dog,” I say smirking at his concentration on death glaring. 

He nods.

I leave a few seconds silence, the chatter in the room being all we can hear. 

“I want to get married,” 

“Yeah completely,” Shawn takes a sip of his drink.

“We better get married soon though because I’m pregnant and I want to look slimming in my dress-” Shawn coughs, beer dribbling down his chin a little.

“Oh my gosh, Shawn,” I laugh, grabbing a napkin from the table and passing it quickly to him.

“What do you mean you’re pregnant?” He says, voice raspy.

“I’m not- just wanted to see if you were listening,” I grin. He rolls his eyes.

“Guess that means you don’t want to get married either,” he says pulling me close to him, wrapping both arms around my waist.

“Probably not,” I giggle, both of us teasing the other. 

“And to think I bought this with me tonight,” Shawn pauses, pulling a small box out of his coat pocket, opening it up to show a diamond ring that glitters when the light caught it.

My jaw dropped.