Chapter 6

Corinne had never been on a date before, but that was just exactly what tonight felt like.

As soon as she had come home from work, Corinne had quickly changed into a pair of dark wash jeans and a white flowing top. She'd pulled on her white peep-toe heels to match, grabbed her clutch bag, and with a fresh swipe of lipstick she was out the door. She met Zach just as he pulled into the driveway from work.

She had climbed into his car, fastened her seat belt, and they were off. It was a good thing that he hadn't been in the mood to go inside and hang around the house, for Corinne was starving.

She hadn't bothered letting down her hair until they were driving along the road. She had shaken out the tangles with her fingers, fussing over it in the sun-visor mirror until Zach had reached over and pushed it up towards the car roof. Corinne hadn't fussed how she thought she would for an actual date, but not getting ready along with Zach made it feel more realistic than what she liked to think it was.

Zach had brought her to the Italian restaurant in town, a family friendly place which thankfully didn't feel too fancy. Corinne wasn't dressed up enough for somewhere posh, and a pizza did sound perfect right now.

Once they'd skimmed through the menus and placed their orders, Zach had left her alone at the table while he nipped to the bathroom. As their table was positioned against the wall, near the back of the restaurant, and right beside a window, Corinne had plenty to keep her entertained as she waited for him to return.

There was a family at the table behind Zach's chair. A man and a woman, with two small children. The eldest child, a little boy of no more than four or five was colouring with the most determined look on his face that Corinne had ever seen when paired with such an activity.

He was cute with his chubby fists gripping the crayon in a death-like hold. Every once in a while he would set the crayon down and pick up his colouring sheet, before proudly turning to show it to his dad. The man would smile and ruffle his hair, before pointing out particular scribble which only made the boy smile even more. It was a sweet sight to see, and Corinne couldn't deny that it was making her wish for the scene they created.

"Hey." Zach's hand was on her shoulder, fingers trailing as he passed her, rounded the table, and resumed his seat. He leaned in with a grin. "I see you've got some attention."

"Hm?" He gave a subtle nod to the left, Corinne's right, and she followed the direction to the table by their side. A few men were sitting there. They looked around their own age, with backpacks shoved beneath their table. From the size of the bags, the notebook on the table, and the brief line of their conversation that she had overheard, they seemed like students.

One was looking right at her, another was giving her the odd glance while pretending not to, while the third's focus was solely on the spaghetti bolognese in front of him.

The first smiled when he caught her looking, making sure to catch Corinne's eyes. She smiled back out of politeness but made sure to turn back to Zach immediately.

"I can't believe this is happening." She could still feel the guy's eyes on her.

"Why not?"

"Well, I'm me." She wasn't used to this kind of attention.

"Yeah, a beautiful young woman who any man would be mad not to notice." Corinne felt her cheeks heat at that, watching as Zach grabbed the small wine list pressed between the salt and pepper shakers.

"Zach..." She didn't know what to say to that. He's just called her beautiful, so beautiful as to be beautiful in all men's eyes. She almost wanted to look away, but that would only force her to turn back to the man at the table beside her.