Chapter 2

Annabeth's POV

I felt guilt build up in my stomach. I couldn't believe that I fell for Max's trick! I shoved Max away from me, his eyes swirling with anger. "Why'd you do that for?" He complained. "What did you do to me?!" I demanded. "I didn't do anything!" He cried, putting his hands up in surrender.

I glared at him, as he gulped and turned to walk away. Somehow the memories are slowly fading away, and I could scarcely make them out. My mind was misty and unclear, and I couldn't focus on anything. Being a daughter of Athena, that really disturbed me. 

~•~

The next morning, I quietly knocked on Percy's door. It was almost 10 o'clock, but I guess he deserved to get some rest. These days must've been hard for him. "Seaweed Brain? Its me, Annabeth. I- I just wanted to apologize. I don't know what got into me." I apologized. No response.

I assumed he was giving me the silent treatment. I sighed, knowing that I probably deserved this right now. Max came running up to me, his face showing no emotion. "Look, Annabeth"

"Don't you dare talk to me!" I exclaimed, pushing him away from me. "Listen to me!" He shouted, grabbing my wrists. I glared at him, but before I could rip out his guts, he said something that made me freeze. "P-Percy is missing. He wasn't in his cabin when I woke up, and Chiron has sent demigods looking all over camp." His grip on my wrist slackened as I sent a death glare at him. I wasn't sure why I was so angry at him, because it was his fault.

He backed away, like I was a ticking bomb that might explode at any moment. "Did anyone find him?" I asked, somehow keeping my cool. He shook his head. Not again, this cannot be happening! I frantically thought. "Ar-are you sure? Did they check everywhere? The lake? The beach? Did the Aphrodite campers kidnap him?" I questioned. He stared confusedly at me, probably because of the last question.

That seaweed brain! I'm going to go insane! I pulled my hair in frustration, gritting my teeth. I faintly saw Max run away, yelling for Chiron. Yeah, he better run alright. I swear I will kill anyone in my sight, and I might not have been joking. This cannot be happening again!

Max's POV

Annabeth was going mad, and I didn't want to be pulverized. Couldn't Percy see what he was doing to Annabeth? Yes, I cared for her. Yes, I do love her. Yes, I am in love with her. But don't get me wrong! I would never steal someone's girl.

That first day I came, Percy Jackson seemed like an arrogant, selfish person. I had to fight the hellhounds with my own bare hands! I didn't know that he was actually loved by most campers, if not all. I always seem to have the worst luck, and now this? I didn't know that Annabeth was Percy's girlfriend. Otherwise I wouldn't have kissed her.

And why would she kiss back? Her eyes had turned misty and cloudy, as if someone was manipulating her. Controlling her. But why would they make her kiss me?

A loud roar interrupted my thoughts. It echoed throughout the camp, causing the earth to shake. The other demigods seem completely unaffected by this. I didn't know lots of people here, and I ran to the only person I do know. Annabeth.

"ANNABETH!" I cried desperately. I saw Annabeth, sitting in her cabin, her head shoved onto her pillow. "Annabeth, what are you doing?!" I hissed. "There's a monster out there!" I cried. She sighed and rolled over on her back. "Monsters can't get through the border, you idiot." She explained.

I stared at her, unassured. Suddenly, a loud, high-pitched shriek cut through the air. Annabeth instantly bolted up, sprinting outside. The Demeter cabin dripped with a greenish liquid, burning through the roof. A loud hissing sound caught my attention, and I had just enough time to roll out of the way as a snake head bit into the ground, burning the area I was just in.

Correction: It had MANY heads. It spewed a green poisonous liquid all over the place, its body towering over me. I squeaked in fear, frantically trying to crawl away. It striked again, and this time it managed to spit acid on my ankle. "Over here!" A voice cried. Annabeth.

An Apollo camper hauled me up, and pulled me away from the Hydra. I saw the Demigods running towards the Weaponry, returning with dozens of knives or strapped around their belts, or dressed in armor, covering all of their body that not a patch of skin could be seen. I saw Annabeth slice off  the Hydra's head off one by one, as Leo set them on fire. Annabeth moved with skill and grace, like she's done this multiple times. Most likely she has.

The campers cheered as the Hydra stumbled around, before collapsing on the ground, and vaporizing into golden dust. How did the monster possibly get through?