Chapter 4

Annabeth's POV

I narrowed my eyes angrily at Max, frustrated that he was right about the Hydra. Normally monsters couldn't pass the border. So what was different about today?

All the campers were panicky and worried, always carrying a weapon strapped to their belt at all times. I walked around, checking for any ways the Hydra could've came in. Nothing was different, and I couldn't think of anything else that could've happened.

I paused, remembering the quest for the fleece. Luke had poisoned the tree so its magical borders didn't work. Could that be what was happening? I sprinted towards Thalia's Pine tree, and saw the dragon (I forgot it's name) sleeping in front of the tree, snoring, as usual. But the Golden Fleece wasn't there.

Could someone have actually been able to steal the Fleece? No monster could get past the dragon, and they definitely couldn't be smart enough to trick the dragon. I was so overwhelmed by all the madness that has been happening, I could hardly focus. Suddenly, something clicked in my head. It must've been a camper who stole the Fleece!

I faintly saw a smear of blood, dried up on the tree trunk. Maybe the dragon bit the camper. I smiled. That made the task much easier. I walked around, inspecting the campers, with the permission of Chiron. But somehow no one was freshly injured, and I even asked an Apollo camper to help check if they were being honest. None of the campers stole the fleece.

"Annabeth!" Piper yelled. I turned around to see Piper running towards me, her hand waving in the air to get my attention. "What is it?" I asked. "Look, I heard you were inspecting the campers, but I know its not one of the campers." Piper explained. "If its not the campers, who could it be?" I asked. "Percy. It has to be Percy," She replied.

I remained silent. Could he have really stole the Fleece? No, he'd never. I know he won't. You have to admit it, he's changed, Annabeth. I reminded myself. But I refused to believe it. It couldn't be him . Or could it?

Percy's POV

I hid behind my cabin, desperately trying not to get seen. After everything I've done to avoid the camp, here I am. I heard the bushes rustle, and I instantly turned to look at it. A young boy stepped out, with black, straight hair, and pale skin, which made him look kind of like Nico. His eyes widened at the sight of me, and instinctively, he stabbed his spear into the side of my leg.

I winced, clutching my calf. I hit him with the side of my elbow, which caused him to fall over. I wrapped a hand around his mouth, as he struggled to escape. I could see the blood gushing out of my wound, but I didn't have any medical experience. The kid mumbled under my hand, his eyes terrified.

"Shhhhh!" I demanded. He shut up immediately, and his attempts to escape slackened. "Promise me you won't tell anyone." I demanded. "Promise on the River Styx." I added. He nodded, and I let go of his mouth, as he gasped for breath.

He dashed away, as far as his feet could let him. I watched as he disappeared into his cabin, which was surprisingly the Hecate cabin. I wasn't particularly sure if a nod could indicate that he swore on the River Styx. Even if it did work, it wouldn't be long before another camper found me, and I had to get back to Hogwarts.
I slipped onto the forest, Riptide raised high. It seemed that the number of monsters in the forest increased. Maybe they had babies. But whatever the case, I still held Riptide high, and I walked cautiously in.

How could I ever get to Diagonal Alley? I'm in Camp Half-Blood, which is halfway across the world. Harry told me to sprinkle floo powder into the fireplace, and then step into it. Maybe I could try using wood as a fireplace.

I gathered up some dry pieces of wood, dry sticks, some leaves, and really anything that could catch on fire. I didn't have glasses, like they taught us in Camp, but I did have Riptide.

I slightly bent the angle I was holding him, trying to catch the sun's rays. Then I reflected it onto my pile of wood and leaves. I waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. My arm was growing tired, and there was only a slight bit of smoke coming out of it.

Blow on it, Leo had said. It makes the flames stronger. I looked at the rising smoke, and desperately I blew on it. More smoke started to form, and I smiled. I blew on it more and more, as I saw small flames starting to form and it slowly grew into a large fire. "What are you doing?!" Someone cried.

I yelped as I saw a nymph coming towards me, her face glaring at me. "You could've started a forest fire! You demigods just go around and litter everywhere, burning trees, I'd like to have you know-" She started. "Its fine, Maple, I'll handle this," Another nymph interrupted. Maple huffed, but she turned around anyway and stomped away.

"What are you doing here?" She asked. "I- I'm trying to get back to London," I replied. "Well, I don't suppose you have an airplane ticket?" She asked. I shook my head. Zeus would KILL me. "Do you perhaps know what floo powder is?" I asked. I already knew the answer. How could nymphs possibly know what floo powder is, when they don't even know what pizza is! "Apparently, yes," she answered. "Really?!" I exclaimed. "Yes, now follow me," She instructed.

I trailed behind her, as she wove through tangled branches and leaves and gracefully jumping over tree stumps. I accidentally stepped on a tree root, and the tree roared, "Watch it!" I quickly sprinted away, and followed the nymph deeper into the forest.

She stopped so suddenly I almost crashed into her. Instead, I tripped over a tree root and fell on the ground. I could feel the tree laughing at me, as I grumbled and got back up. She picked up a bowl, filled with the same powder I used at Hogwarts. "Here, take it," She offered. "I- I don't need that much," I told her. "Just take it! I don't need it anyway. I'm a nymph," She exclaimed. "Alright, then. Thanks for the powder," I thanked. "Of course," she replied.

I sprinted back to my fire, tripping over many tree roots and getting stabbed by branches. It didn't take a long time to get there, however. I grabbed a handful of floo powder, and I dropped it into the fire. The flames vanished and I reluctantly stepped into the fire. Green flames surrounded me, but it still felt weird that I wasn't being burned alive.

"Diagon Alley!" I exclaimed. The wind started to pick up it's pace, and the world felt dizzy and blurry. I didn't scream this time, which was a miracle, but it wasn't much of a better experience. I stumbled as I shot out of a fireplace, covered in ash and soot. Floo powder was much harder than I thought.