Chapter 9

Percy's POV

I gasped. I couldn't hold it in. They looked towards my direction, and I stood there, frozen. Their expressions were shocked and surprised. But they also seem worried. I was so angry that I could feel actual steam coming out of my ears. Why would that boy do this? But why did I care? Camp Half Blood isn't my home anymore. But Pigfarts wasn't either.

"L-look I-I can e-exp-plain." The boy stuttered. I stared at him, and he looked disappointed, not at anyone else, but at himself. He was also scared, but the thing that bothered me was that he was scared of me. Was I really a monster, and a traitor? Does he think that?

Everyone stayed silent. No one moved. They still stayed silent. Did they think I was going to attack them or something? I stared at them, and they avoided my eyes.

Dumbledore finally spoke up after a long silence. "You may not understand this, but Hogwarts is in danger. Our magic that protects Hogwarts is fading. We needed the Golden Fleece to fix it. There are people out there that aren't always nice, Percy. Both you and I know that. You must understand that we need the Golden Fleece. Your camp is powerful. They are strong, and can protect the camp. But we cannot. We need the Golden Fleece, Percy."

I listened. He had a way with words. Making it look like Hogwarts was weak, and needing the Golden Fleece. But it didn't work. "You said that your magic was fading. But our camp is protected by magic too, you know. And you just stole that protection. Can't you just wave your wand and use more spells or something?" I asked.

Dumbledore sighed. "Its not that simple. Even if we could, it would take lots of energy to preform the spell. Dark wizards are slowly trying to break through the spell. Unless you have another idea, we need the Golden Fleece." Dumbledore explained. "You can fight. Just like what you're making Camp Half Blood do." I answered. He didn't reply.

I didn't know why I was defending the place that betrayed me. That left me for my selfish and ignorant brother. But I knew it wasn't right to just let Dumbledore say those words. Dumbledore didn't speak up, and the boy was so pale and his hands were slipping off the Golden Fleece.

Clunk! All of a sudden the Fleece dropped to the floor with a loud noise. I raced for the Fleece, and swooped it up in my hands. As soon as I touched it, a warm sensation was sent through my body, and I felt happy for the first time in a long while. Even though I wasn't.

Dumbledore stood up instantly and held his wand with its tip facing me. The boy didn't move. Dumbledore was walking towards me, slowly, and I used my other hand to reach into my pocket. I curled my fingers around Riptide, and I fixed my gaze on Dumbledore. He was tense, his eyes glued on me. Dumbledore was known to be a peaceful and wise wizard, but he wasn't what I expected.

But as I thought about it, he wasn't being mean or rude. He was only doing what's best for Hogwarts. I hadn't thought about how it might've affected Polyphemus when I stole the Fleece. But I just thought of him as a monster.

Dumbledore thinks I'm like a wall blocking their path. I think he's being selfish that he was going to try and steal the Fleece. But wasn't that what Polyphemus thought?

I didn't let go of the Golden Fleece, but I took my hand out of my pocket. I hated doing this, it seemed like I was surrendering. I didn't like it at all. But not everything has to solved with conflict.  "How about this. Instead of trying to steal the Golden Fleece, I'll help you defeat those bad magicians. But I want something in return." I compromised. He stared thoughtfully at me, then asked, "What do you want?"

"I want you to allow me to go home at the end of the school year, never try to steal the Golden Fleece again, and never mention anything about Camp Half Blood or demigods or anything like that, to anyone else. Not even your closest friends or family. Deal?" I asked. "Agreed." He replied, and nodded his head.

I stared at him, and I walked out of there. I needed all the energy I could get. I ran to Gryffindor dormitories and almost crashed onto my bed. I didnt notice that I was so tired. I didn't even change into pajamas. I threw the Fleece under my bed. My eyelids were heavy to lift, so I let them fall, and I went to sleep.

Tomorrow, I'm going on another quest. I can only hope that the Fates have some mercy in me.

I hope you guys liked it! If you did, please consider voting for this chapter and commenting! I'd really appreciate it! Thanks so much for reading this!