Episode 31: Very Pleasant Intruder

I was awakened by the morning sun filtering through my window. I’ve always been slow to wake, with my head kind of swimmy for a few moments, but this morning was different. It was as if everything was new to me, even waking up. I lifted my head off the pillow and stretched. I was in my bed, still dressed in my oversized Hyde t-shirt and jeans. I tried to remember how I had gotten here, but it was all fuzzy. I must have walked home and just plopped down in my bed from exhaustion. I got up and stepped to the window to look out at Haru’s house next door. There was no sign of him, or anyone, over there.

“Good morning,“ a voice said from behind me, and I turned in alarm to the intruder. The very pleasant intruder. Haru was sitting backwards in the chair at my desk, arms draped across the wooden back and his head resting on them.

I didn’t yell or anything, but it did startle me. By reflex I covered myself, though I knew I was already fully clothed. “You scared me, Haru,“ I explained.

He smiled. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. I was just watching you as you slept.”

“Watching me, why?”

“Because I’m yours now.” He tilted his head in a curious gesture. “Aren’t I?”

I had never imagined anyone as gorgeous as him would want to be mine, to be bonded to me in such a romantic fashion. It was a bit strange, this feeling of having him as mine. I couldn’t get my head around it.

“Do you want to be?” I found myself asking.

He got up from the chair so slow I thought time had come to a crawl just so I could savor the moment of seeing him walking across the room to me. The top of his shirt was unbuttoned and I found my eyes admiring where his collar ended and his chest began.

“Everything I want to be,“ he said, “is right here.” His hand rose to my face and he extended his finger to touch my eyelid. There was this heated sensation that washed over me, just by having his fingertip touch my lashes. I blinked, and in the briefest of moments when my eyes were closed, his lips touched my eyelids in a tender kiss.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. “Nora, are you up?”

Haru took a step back with an embarrassed smirk across his face. Then he opened his mouth and answered her. “Yes Mom, I’m up.” The voice that came out of his mouth was not his; it was a mimic of mine, even down to the agitated tone I usually took with my mother. At first it freaked me out, hearing my voice come out of his lovely mouth, and I put my hand up to my face to keep from giggling.

Mom couldn’t tell the difference. She thought it was me. “Okay, well I have to head out. Can you get to school okay?”

Haru opened his mouth to answer and I covered it with my own hands. “Okay mom, that’s fine,” I said. “Have a nice day.”

After I heard her descend the stairs and the front door close, I took my hands off his mouth. “Are you trying to get me in trouble? Mom would have a cow if she found a boy in my room. Were you here all night?”

He smiled. “For most of it. I had to go do something, but I came back to check on you. I just thought I’d like to watch over you. “

I blushed. It was so sweet to have a boy want to do that. And I said as much.

“It’s nice,“ he said, “to be so enamored, so captivated, that just to be away from you a little while is torture. I watched you sleeping, and when the sun came up and crossed your face I counted all your freckles in the light.”

I knew I had freckles, but they weren’t very prominent. Or at least I didn’t think so. There were some light ones across the bridge of my nose, maybe a few on my forehead.

“Fifty-two,“ he said. “You have fifty-two freckles on your face. They make you unique and beautiful. There is no one that the sun has painted more wonderful than you. I can only imagine how they must be on your shoulders.”

I turned a couple shades of red. Not because there were in fact freckles on my shoulders, but that he had thought about seeing them.

He grinned. “I’m sorry. I’m embarrassing you. I’ll try to keep such romantic thoughts to myself.”

“No, it’s okay. Please don’t.”

“Do you have romantic thoughts?” he asked.

“Right now I do,“ I confessed.

He took a few steps closer to me. “Do you really have to go to school today?”

“I..I should.”

He pursed his lips and nodded his head. “Yes, I guess you should. But tonight…would you accompany me somewhere?”

“Yes. Where?”

“It’s a surprise. Do you like surprises?”

“I do, if they involve you. Last night was a surprise.”

He smiled. “The most pleasant one ever.”

I turned from him so he wouldn’t see the fifty shades of pink that crossed my face. “I..I guess ..I should get ready for school.”

“That’s fine. I’ll see you tonight then.” He walked over to the door. “I’ll let myself out.” He stepped out into the hallway and then thought of something. “I know it’s an odd thing to ask, but would it be okay that while you’re at school I use your shower? Something is wrong with ours and I don’t know if the plumber will get out here today.”

“Um, yes I suppose so. I’ll leave the door unlocked.”

“Cool. Thanks, Nora.” He stepped back into the room and kissed my forehead before heading out once more.

There are three things I thought of while riding the bus to school. One was that even a kiss on the forehead from Haru was maddening enough to be sensual. Perhaps that’s why he made it quick, so as to not get so caught up in emotion that I never make it to school.

Second was, I never had liked my name much, but the way he spoke it made it sound so beautiful. There was something about the lilting tone of his voice, soft and gentle, but with resolve and authority, like I imagined angels might have once spoken to men.

And last, I couldn’t get the fantasy out of my mind of Haru in my shower, the water cascading down his bare, hairless chest, as he lathered his long hair, now mysteriously changed dark, with my shampoo.

These thoughts, the last one in particular, played over and over until I got off the bus and was greeted by Angela, whom I knew could see the change in me. In fact, I think she said it best with her first words. “Omg girl, you’re glowing.”

I felt like I was glowing, as if the butterflies of last night had turned into fireflies and lit me up from within. I didn’t even feel like I was the same person as the one I was a day before. Haru’s attention and delicate kisses had taken root in my soul. His smile, his touch, the way he had felt lying on top of me in the grass. We had been fully clothed, but for me it was an intimacy that made me feel naked and bare, as if he were a gentle sculptor and I was the untouched clay he was molding into something beautiful. But I couldn’t say these things to my friend. “Oh, really?” was all I could muster.